Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

• Thank you received: 556

AR-10A4 Rifle Range report was created by jtallen83

The sun was shining and the wind was light so I thought I'd check the zero on my AR-10A4 basic flat top rifle. As always she made me smile! B)

I meant to make this a 5 shot group but either lost count or got two in the same hole. either way I'll take it.

This is 20 rounds in well under 4 minutes. You can see I rushed a few but the rifle did its job for sure!
Both are at 100 yards with a Bushnell 4200 2.5x10 and FN NATO stamped 150 grain ammo, none of that special match stuff. Shot from a bipod off a picnic table.
I have somewhere around 500 rounds through the rifle with not one malfunction. The scope and mount seem to keep a decent zero. You can see from the 20 round group that it is off to the left a bit but the next time I mount the scope it might be on the money so I stopped chasing it and chalked it up to the variable of remounting the scope, close enough for the ranges I shoot at and besides, most of my friends and family can't make targets like this with their bolt guns but they can with my ArmaLite!
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by jtallen83.
11 years 3 months ago #15884

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

Nice group, there is vertical spread there. Something is going on. What was the air temp.. again Nice group JT
11 years 3 months ago #15886

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

:thumbs: Nice! I'm envious I was in meetings all day thinking about shooting my AR10. Instead I got a case of bleacher butt.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Siscowet.
11 years 3 months ago #15887

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

I don't think it made 40 degrees but almost, seemed real nice after the teens and wind we've had.
I've got a FF tube from a T I've thought of adding but I hate to change anything, I don't think I can physically shoot any better anyway! When I strap it into the lead sled it makes one ragged hole at 100 yards. :drool: She's a keeper!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 3 months ago #15888

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

That's a keeper. 40 degrees! It is minus 8F here right now! I would have to degrease the action for it to cycle! I am starting to think I need to live in a warmer place. I want to hook mine up to a lead sled and see what it does. I know mine can shoot better than I can.
11 years 3 months ago #15889

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

I'm gonna make a try or the range myself tomorrow. Gonna be 42 with a variable wind from 8 to 18 with gusts to 30. Should be fun...

Nice shootin JT. :thumbs:
11 years 3 months ago #15892

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

Same here Sharkey. I just finished some reloading and want to try out the new brew to see how it does. I am hoping it isn't too cold here in Vermont.
11 years 3 months ago #15895

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

Not really. 20 rounds in less than 4 minutes with a standard A4 flattop off a bipod. That looks pretty typical. Vertical stringing is due to the barrel heating up and (probably) loading the bipod.

As for the POI change, part of it is probably from dismounting and remounting the scope. Most of it is from using a different type/weight of ammo than what you zeroed it with, I'd guess.

Great looking group, brother!
RLTW
11 years 3 months ago #15896

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

Leb it just dawned on me that those boxes are 1 inch, I am used to seeing 223 holes.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Libertarian623.
11 years 3 months ago #15899

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR-10A4 Rifle Range report

I've found the left-right shift happens when I re-set the scope. It seems to stay under an inch at 100 yards, if I adjust it to center then the next time I mount it is off that much the other way.
I don't remember if it was Radway or FN ammo I used to zero it but I haven't seen much change as long as it has that NATO cross stamp. I expected a little more spread on the 20 shot group as it heated. I realize at a thouand yards it would be considerable but for the mostly under 300 yards I shoot it isn't an issue to me, the coyote is goin down!
So far all the 175 match ammo I've tried opens up the groups. Someday I'll work on handloading the larger bullets to see if there is a sweet spot for them. It's hard to get fired up about the loading when it shoots the cheap stuff like this though! ;)
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 3 months ago #15900

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!