Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Krylon for my AR-10

• Thank you received: 0

Krylon for my AR-10 was created by mattsandb

:twothumbs: I'm gonna Krylon my AR-10 this weekend, any tips that people would like to share? I'm going for multi-cam. Seems to break up well in my varied areas of operations.
11 years 2 months ago #16996

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Krylon for my AR-10

I'm sorry I don't have any tips on that Matt but I sure would like to see it once you are finished.... :)
11 years 2 months ago #16998

Replied by mattsandb on topic Krylon for my AR-10

I'll post some decent pics for certain bud.
11 years 2 months ago #17000

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Krylon for my AR-10

If your minds made up! then just make sure all parts are very clean, remove all oil and sandblast if possible if not the use a scotch bright pad, and do not touch with bare skin as it will leave an oil residue behind, wear white gloves when handling and use a good degreaser. If you will at sometime want to remove skip the sandblasting and scotchbrite steps. If the wife will let ya or g-friend whatever you can bake in the oven for about an hour at 300 deg. and that will give a good hard cure to the paint.
Now I believe you might want to do a search here on the site and see what others have to say ! Check out txlongshotb4 he has some good knowledge in this area. www.ar10t.com/forums/specialty-manufactu...tom-paint-jobs#11430
Hope this helps. :thumbs:
AKAI
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii, mattsandb
11 years 2 months ago #17011

Replied by mattsandb on topic Krylon for my AR-10

Thanks Bud, I never heard of baking your weapon with Krylon, I'm going to have to check that out. I plan on using the Matte Finish on top of the paint job for additional protection.
11 years 2 months ago #17012

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Krylon for my AR-10

No problem! If ya go to Toolbar Community Groups AK-47's you can see a couple of my projects. I know a lot of people are using airbrush to do the cammo finish. And for the baking as long as its Enamel! I have had pretty good luck, seems to make it a little harder and more durable. :cowboy:
AKAI
11 years 2 months ago #17013

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Krylon for my AR-10

OMG! under NO circumstances should you sandblast or use abrasives for just krylon. If you were doing cerakote or a plating kit then yes, you would need to get down to bare metal but not for just paint. There are some finishes that are a heat cure, krylon paint aint one of them. Heat will cure it faster, but it will still be the same painted finish that it would be without the heat. A heat lamp will work just as well.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 months ago #17016

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Krylon for my AR-10

Agree! Just make sure you do a good de-greasing job and you should be good to go.
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #17037

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Krylon for my AR-10

Yeah, there's a cleaner/degreaser to use for surface prep. from Birchwood Casey, for removing excess oil and grease etc.. I subscribe to the Vickers school of thought here: just do it. I picked 3 of the Krylon matte colors for my M4 and just sprayed it w/o any fancy shenanigans. Stencils, leaves, fern stems, whatever you want or nothing at all-it's your gun to play with.

There's a basic vid Vickers has on Youtube of what he tapes up beforehand: sights, muzzle, scope parts you do not want to spray, etc...

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by 10-76.
11 years 1 month ago #20155

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Krylon for my AR-10

X2 :I-agree:
11 years 1 month ago #20161

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!