Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Cleaning new AR with CLP and "grainy" feeling

• Thank you received: 0

Cleaning new AR with CLP and "grainy" feeling was created by wsr1961

I took my AR10T to the range and followed Armalite's break in procedure, which requires 13 cleanings of the barrel over 29 shots. I used CLP, and after the last barrel cleaning I wiped to bolt carrier, charging handle and the inside of the upper with CLP, leaving all parts slightly lubed but not soaked.

Today I took the AR out of its case to inspect it. I pulled and released the charging handle about 5 times. It had a grainy feel to it, and I could smell something burning from the friction. I broke it down and noticed that the charging handle was shiny aluminum where the finish had worn off. I am not sure if that is normal. I wiped everything several times with CLP but couldn't get rid of the grainy feel, the friction or the slight grinding sound when I worked the action. I took it down one more time and wiped the bolt carrier, charging handle and upper receiver walls thoroughly with Rem Oil. It seemed to sound and feel better afterwards. Can anyone tell me if CLP is OK for this platform? Were the graininess and friction smells normal? I am new to AR's and want to do things right.

Oh it shot very well at the range. Impressive rifle.
11 years 2 months ago #17085

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Cleaning new AR with CLP and "grainy" feeling

CLP is Cleaner, Lubricant & Protectant. Like most hybrids, CLP does no one job very well, but does all three adequately. RemOil is much the same. Look for a lube that has a slightly thicker viscosity so it'll "cling" to the metal parts longer and penetrate into the surface of the steel. Higher viscosity lubes will also last longer when you're firing the rifle and make clean up quicker.

Lubes I recommend are MPRO 7, FP10, SLiP 2000 EWL and Royal Purple gun lube. A lube that gets high marks, though I have never used it, is Frog Lube. Some folks even use motor oil to lube their rifles.

Though I personally don't recommend grease in AR-style rifles, others have used greases like TW25B and Lubriplate to good effect.

As a rule of thumb, moving parts should get a moderate to heavy coat of lube. Everything else gets a light coat. As for the burning smell when you charge your rifle, try putting a little more lube on the charging handle and a couple of drops in the track where the charging handle rests inside the upper receiver. Wear on the charging handle is normal so no need to sweat that issue.
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #17097

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by wsr1961 on topic Cleaning new AR with CLP and "grainy" feeling

Thank you for the reply and suggested cleaning products. Your comments are pretty much in line with the Armalite maunal, which indicated that CLP is more of a "get by in the field" type cleaner. I was concerned that it was somehow causing deterioration in the charging handle because of the buring smell and the finish coming off the edge of the handle. I thought it might be a friction issue, but that grainy feeling had me concerned.

I am used to gas piston rifles (M1, M1A) and was also wondering if the graininess was a natural result of the AR's gas system blowing directly into the receiver.

Impressive shooter, but I can see why they had maintenance issues in the early M16 days.
11 years 2 months ago #17106

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Cleaning new AR with CLP and "grainy" feeling

I agree, the Use Break Free for a Cleaner "ONLY"...a good wipe down and then apply my Lube...which is mentioned above...
I have had great success with the Mil-comm products...they have never let me down yet in any temperature.
As for the burning smell...I still get that out of all my rifles the first Lock and load...it is friction combined with the lube...My CMMG upper will even have a trace of smoke sometimes...and all the parts are Teflon coated..
In my opinion...if you want the best Lube for your buck and your Rifle...
Mil-com... here is the link...
www.mil-comm.com/
It is endorsed by ArmaLite...check the endorsements...
also for some more info...check the cleaning section of the site...
I will be posting a video set on cleaning your rifle...though it is done with the M-15...much is the same for the AR-10....
BMS...
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 2 months ago #17114

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Cleaning new AR with CLP and "grainy" feeling

This may be of help and use...The gun in the vid was VERY new at the time..
BMS

www.ar10t.com/forums/cleaning-/13075-cleaning-your-rifle#17116

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 2 months ago #17117

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by milcomm1 on topic Cleaning new AR with CLP and "grainy" feeling

I am biased, but if you are using TW25B light grease and/or MC2500 oil (TW25B oil), along with MC25 cleaner, you shouldn't need to reintroduce any of those other products.

And TW25B is the lube of Armalite. The head armorer stoppped by the Mil-Comm booth at the SHOT Show and we talked about it.

visit the site for the dealer directory at mil-comm.com

Mil-Comm's products are also available in the official NRA licensed Gun Care packaging. It's the same product but sold that way to generate a royalty for the cause.
11 years 2 months ago #17167

My Thanks for sounding off...it is a great welcome from the Manufacturer themselves...
I have not tried, as of yet the Mil-comm cleaning products...been meaning to.
I have followed your vids On YouTube...maybe it's time to put away the BF and go for the gusto...
Old Habits are hard to Break... :pinch:

BMS

11 years 2 months ago #17169

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!