Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

First Round Fliers - Every Damned Time

• Thank you received: 80

First Round Fliers - Every Damned Time was created by Lizardette

This isn't a problem I'm having right now, but it's one that seems to come up on occasion and I figured I'd share the fix for it. It's easy.

The Problem: You've got a rifle that's sighted in perfectly. It puts all of the bullets in the same spot on the target, except the first one out of the magazine. For some reason, your first shot is always a flier. Not only that, it always goes to the same place - low and left in the case of my rifle. I mean, I could hold off for the first shot and reliably put that first one in the ten ring.

The Cause: You would think so, but there's a difference between the bolt being "locked enough to fire" and "locked completely." If this ever happens with your rifle (and a thorough cleaning and light lubrication doesn't help) you can test it in one of two ways. If you have a forward assist, you can give it a push after you hit the bolt release. If you don't have one, then you can use the charging handle to retract the bolt carrier completely and let it fly. If this solves your problem, then the answer is pretty simple.

The Solution: Try a new magazine. It could be either the feed lips or too heavy a spring on the magazine you were using. It's more likely, in my experience, to be the feed lips. Sometimes re-bending them works by itself. Sometimes there are rough edges that you need to smooth out. I'd use an Arkansas stone, but a really fine metal file can do the trick as well.

If that doesn't work, it's probably the recoil spring. If this problem occurs on a well used rifle, then you will probably be fine just by getting a new standard recoil spring. If it's a relatively new rifle but past the point that any "break in" should be expected, then you probably need a stronger recoil spring.

That's it.

What's great is that this doesn't just work for .308 AR's. I've had the same thing happen with Garands and AK's. This fix is still the same, as long as the tests I mentioned work.

Hope that helps someone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Sharkey, Siscowet
10 years 11 months ago #24667

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic First Round Fliers - Every Damned Time

Darn good info.......when I shoot for grouping, I ALWAYS intentionally shoot the first round on another target or low and right or left.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
10 years 11 months ago #24670

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic First Round Fliers - Every Damned Time

Depending on who you talk to, this would be considered or what they call a "Cold Bore" shot.

What is a cold bore shot? link
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 11 months ago #24672

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic First Round Fliers - Every Damned Time

A quick spray of degreaser to wash the oil out of the bore, then fire a fouling shot or 2.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 11 months ago #24679

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic First Round Fliers - Every Damned Time

Very true,.......
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 11 months ago #24682

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic First Round Fliers - Every Damned Time

The way I have always heard it, a "cold bore shot" is the first shot you take from a barrel that is at least room temperature - fouling or no.

In a quality rifle, with quality ammunition, and a fouled bore, a cold bore shot doesn't often go very far off of the point of aim, in my experience. After a few shots, when the barrel is at least warm to the touch, bullets seem to hit closer to point of aim. In fact, I've noticed that all of my rifles shoot tighter groups when the barrel is hot, as compared to letting the barrel cool completely between shots/groups. Personally, I've only seen two guns that fire exactly to point of aim from a cold bore. One was a Winchester 670 in 30-06. The other is the .300 Blackout AR that I built.
10 years 11 months ago #24695

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic First Round Fliers - Every Damned Time

This is very interesting..... And I was going to ask you guys about cold bore shots... Working out with warm bore... Or doing a cool down between sets.... I'm working with three shot groups for now..... But on my first group I'm doing four shots and logging the difference between the first shot and the others a hundred yards.......
I've only had the sass out for two session... I'm interested to see what kind of variable there will be....
10 years 11 months ago #24696

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!