Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10 Short Stroking Issue

• Thank you received: 0

AR-10 Short Stroking Issue was created by SDDuc996

So after finally completing my AR-10 build, I took it to the range (indoor 25m) to zero the irons. It will clear the spent case but fail to load the next round. I've swapped mags to eliminate that possibility.

Here's what I'm running: AR-10 with 18" Match barrel. 15" PRI Forearm, UBR Stock with Slash heavy buffer and recoil spring.
15 years 3 days ago #1386

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by featherblue on topic Re:AR-10 Short Stroking Issue

What ammo did you use? Where did the spent case land in a 3 to 6 position to your right?

Try one round in the mag and determine if the bolt locks open.

Then get back to us. There are several very experienced AR-10 here.

-fb
15 years 3 days ago #1387

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:AR-10 Short Stroking Issue

FthBL I agree with you on the ammo inquiry, I know ArmaLite says 150gr to 175gr with 168 being optimum. I'm wondering if it is not the beefed up buffer and spring. I know mine came with a already heavy spring from the factory, that's what the factory told me when I inquired about going with a hydraulic buffer. What is your analysis?
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 15 years 3 days ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
15 years 3 days ago #1388

Replied by SDDuc996 on topic Re:AR-10 Short Stroking Issue

I'm shooting Match Grade M118 Milspec. Cases are ejecting around 5 o clock and not traveling very far. maybe three feet max.

I originally tried using the AR10 Enidine Collapsible Buffer and Superior Shooting Flatwire Buffer Spring, but the BCG had a really hard time traveling far enough back to pick up the next round. It even felt harder to pull the charging handle back far enough to chamber the next round, so I ended up selling them.

I'm guessing this has to be a gas issue. so I'll be double checking the gas key, rings on the bolt, and gas tube.

Thanks for the help guys.
15 years 3 days ago #1391

Replied by jeffreytucker on topic Re:AR-10 Short Stroking Issue

I am having a similar problems
When I run the charging handle it loads the bullet fine. but then when I go to shoot the 2nd round I find out it did not load the next round. The gun Is brand new, only a couple months old and only had 40-50 rounds through it. I have used both of the clips that came with it.
15 years 3 days ago #1392

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:AR-10 Short Stroking Issue

Jeffrey, being yours is a factory built one I would definitely call ArmaLite. They may want you to send it in. Believe me it sucks, I know I had to send mine in for a extractor issue, turnaround time was about two weeks but they fixed it and they do stand behind their weapons. As featherblue asked earlier, what ammo are you using. Try cleaning your gas tube and ports on the gas block, then take a can of condensed air, stick it in the gas tube in the receiver and see if you have air coming out the ports on the gas block and barrel. The port in the barrel might be plugged. Either way call the factory.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
15 years 3 days ago #1394

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!