Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalie ar10 upper on a Matrix Aerospace Ar10 lowe

• Thank you received: 0

Armalie ar10 upper on a Matrix Aerospace Ar10 lowe was created by dm567

I purchased a Matrix Aerospace AR10 (7.62) lower and installed the armalite ar10 parts kit in it. I read that it is compatable with Armalite uppers so I then installed an Armalite upper and it seems to fit. However, there are two problems: First, the pmag Generation 3 will not fit; it won't slide up far enough. Second the bolt catch will not catch the bolt.

Does anyone have any experience with Matrix Aerospace lowers that knows why this is happening?

thanks
dom
10 years 3 months ago #33999

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Armalie ar10 upper on a Matrix Aerospace Ar10 lowe

That lower is compatible with an Armalite AR10 A model upper. Sounds as if you have a B model upper.
Does the PMag seat with the upper removed?
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 3 months ago #34000

Replied by dm567 on topic Armalie ar10 upper on a Matrix Aerospace Ar10 lowe

Yes, it does.

How do I identify my AR10 Upper?
10 years 3 months ago #34007

Yes you are right. Thank you. I looked it up and my upper is off of a AR10B rifle. It takes the metal armalite mags.

Since I have now read that the AR10B and AR10A upper receivers themselves are different, can I presume that it cannot be converted?

If it cannot be converted now I have an AR10B upper and a matrix aerospace lower that are not compatible.

Now I have two problems.

First Armalite doesn't sell AR10A uppers by themselves. (Would they fit my receiver?) What upper can I buy to fit the Matrix Aerospace lower? BTW, I may need a different bolt catch and magazine catch. I've read that they are different also. I installed the AR10B parts kit in the Matix Aerospace lower. Where can I get the different mag catch and bolt catch?

Second, Armalite lowers are banned by name in CA and my dealer won't transfer an armalite ar10B lower to me. What lower can I buy for my AR10B upper?

Thanks

dom
10 years 3 months ago #34010

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Armalie ar10 upper on a Matrix Aerospace Ar10 lowe

My advice would be to sell/trade the upper you have for the one you need the places I would go to do this are.

1. Here in the for sale/trade forum. I for one prefer the Armalite/M-14 style mags to the Magpul/SR-25 style. Many of us have more uppers than lowers, you may find another member in the opposite position you are in.

2. Gunbroker.com, sell what you got, prices for buying/selling are stable/fair. You will have to ask if they are willing to ship an upper (even though it isn't a firearm) to California.

Personally I love busting open the Cali embargo/blockade on all things firearm, I'll keep my eyes out for a loose 10B upper that can be easily made Cali compliant.
10 years 3 months ago #34011

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Armalie ar10 upper on a Matrix Aerospace Ar10 lowe

Dom,

I always get Armalite parts directly from Armalite. Go to their wenbsite.

My suggestion would be for you to contact Mr. Raley, he is associated with Armalite.
He may have some suggestions for you. As far as I can remember, the bolt catch would need to be changed to a B model part. There are differences in the receivers themselves, between the A and B, in respect to the magazine stops. Not really sure if you can mod the upper or not.

Get in thouch with Pat........he is a good dude, I am sure he will do what he can.

G
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
10 years 3 months ago #34022

Soc

I may just keep the B upper for my armalite lower; then I will have two different uppers for my armalite B lower. I first bought the CA legal armalite AR10 and then bought the national match upper for it. I bought the matrix aerospace lower believing that it would work with the upper I took off and would now have two complete guns.

If you see a 10b upper for sale let me know. I'll just buy it for the Matrix lower to complete the second rifle.

Thanks for pointing out what went wrong. Now I know better.
10 years 3 months ago #34045

G

I will try to call armalite as you suggest and tell Pat my problem. On their site they mention that they do not sell ar10A uppers by themselves and there are no lower parts listed for them either. Perhaps they can make an exception and sell me a 10A upper and the two parts I need for the lower.

Thanks for the advice
10 years 3 months ago #34046

Soc

I meant to say if you see a 10A upper let me know.
10 years 3 months ago #34047

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!