Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR10 Ergo Update: BCM Mod 3 Grip & BAD-ASS-ST(45)

• Thank you received: 12

AR10 Ergo Update: BCM Mod 3 Grip & BAD-ASS-ST(45) was created by crux

For a while I've been running a reduced angle grip from Bravo Company Manufacturing on my ar15 and have fallen in love with the short throw ambidextrous safety selector from Battle Arms Development. Since my AR10 Carbine is set up pretty much for near/mid range tactical matches rather than long range precision shooting, I decided I wanted to update it with the same ergonomics. I'm going to do both at the same time since they interact with each other on the frame.

Below is the venerable A2 grip with it's deeper angle. Also seen is the standard safety selector.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here is the BCM Gunfighter grip Mod 3. It's more vertical and has a better feel when holding the rifle in front of you square to the target in my view. The Mod 3 is slightly thicker than the Mod 1.

Below is the BAD-ASS-ST ambidextrous safety selector. The two best features of this is a) gives you ambidextrous access to the safety, b) It gives you a faster throw on the safety that requires less movement of the grip hand to toggle. To be honest, when you first get one of these, it's hard not to just go CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK back and forth working the safety with the top and bottom of your thumb. Of course, the safety no longer flips all the way vertical which might confuse some glue sniffers, so there's a warning about using it without a lower specifically designed for it. You can ignore that (if you don't sniff glue).

Here's the safety selector out of the box. Notice the little silver raised pin... That's the "lawyer pin" that keeps you from inserting this safety into a standard lower...

Dremel says "F you Lawyer Pin"... Now it should go in without any trouble.

My Armalite has a hex bolt in there, fortunately I had just the driver.

Now I back off the grip and notice something interesting... Two springs? It would appear the detent for the takedown pin is held grip and not by the end plate on the AR10.

Here's all the stuff before assembly... pardon the potato phone picture.

I went ahead and put in the new spring and such with the short throw selector, and using the wrench to tighten it. Put a drop of CLP on it for the heck of it.

The new grip goes on, make sure to get the springs in the right spots.

And we're done. CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK... safety works great and I find the combination very comfortable.

Any questions?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, 10before15, Libertarian623, P1445
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by crux.
10 years 3 weeks ago #36872

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10 Ergo Update: BCM Mod 3 Grip & BAD-ASS-ST(45)

Nice write up thanks. :thumbs:
I am going to be updating my grips soon.
10 years 3 weeks ago #36875

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR10 Ergo Update: BCM Mod 3 Grip & BAD-ASS-ST(45)

Nice pictures of what you did, couldn't help noting the Winchester silver tips in the mag. How are they working for you.
10 years 3 weeks ago #36881

Replied by crux on topic AR10 Ergo Update: BCM Mod 3 Grip & BAD-ASS-ST(45)

The silver tips are a bit of a compromise really. The are in the "ready" mag that's always on the rifle. If there's ever a need to pick up the AR-10 for defense, I want the first option to limit hazards to the neighborhood, and silver tips are in that compromise space between optimal power and reduced over penetration risk. If time and circumstances warrant there are other mags to grab.

Haven't had to use them and hopefully never will.
10 years 3 weeks ago #36923

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR10 Ergo Update: BCM Mod 3 Grip & BAD-ASS-ST(45)

I ask because I have had the best groups ever shot out of my LAR-8 with 168gr silvertips. I don't know if this is the case with everyone but they seem to have quite a following.
10 years 3 weeks ago #36934

Replied by crux on topic AR10 Ergo Update: BCM Mod 3 Grip & BAD-ASS-ST(45)

I alternately hear love and hate for them. Some folks swear by them, but every now and then I hear someone complain of inconsistent terminal ballistics, at least compared to other rounds. I haven't had a chance to burn through any on anything but pumpkins (pumpkins which did not appreciate the attention for sure).

From what I've seen on gel they should certainly get the attention of whatever they hit, and well placed, it should disrupt important things fairly easily.
10 years 3 weeks ago #36936

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic AR10 Ergo Update: BCM Mod 3 Grip & BAD-ASS-ST(45)

Thank You for the information and the writeup, especially the detailed part about the elimination of the "Lawyer Pin".
It is good to know there are other options available for the pistol grips too.
Now, onto the pumpkins...................... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 3 weeks ago #36953

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!