Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits

• Thank you received: 1

AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits was created by JUICE9269

Hello,

I am looking to possibly convert a gas impingement Remington R-25 (DPMS platform) to gas piston. I've been shopping online and found a few different manufacturers that produce these piston conversion kits. I'm not looking for an argument of why I'm wanting to change or debate about which system is better. I would greatly appreciate information on a reliable conversion kit and what to look for in them. I'm hoping that I can get feedback from others that have actually bought/used these so it's first hand experience, not just thoughts on it. I believe these are fairly new and I've read about problems with them, which I'm hoping to avoid by buying a quality kit if there is one out there. I'm not convinced I will change it over, but I have an interest in it.

Thanks in advance for any help & information, I greatly appreciate it!
9 years 11 months ago #37751

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits

POF would be my ONLY choice. However, they do not produce a " conversion kit"
Adams Arms would be a possible option........would highly suggest simply buying a quality factory built complete piston upper.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
9 years 11 months ago #37771

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits

I think Wrenchbender is dead on. The only way I would buy a conversion kit would be if the manufacturer could prove yhey tested it with 10's of thousands of rounds in all conditions. Pistons add a complication to the AR system, which was built to work on direct gas impingement. Not to say they are bad, and in certain applications they may be beneficial, but using an upper that is designed from the ground up to use a piston system is probably a better idea.
9 years 11 months ago #37779

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits

ANNNDDDDdddd :I-agree: tooo. :cowboy:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
9 years 11 months ago #37784

Replied by JUICE9269 on topic AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits

Thanks fellas. It's not that I don't agree with you, I do. The issue that comes up with this particular situation is that the Remington R-25 has a camo coating on it. It's not as nice as cerakoting. If I get a nicer high end rifle like you guys are referring to, then I'll have to get it cerakoted on top of it. I'd be looking at a completely different price range than where I'm at. I have a POF 6.5 creedmoor that I haven't even shot yet and I already love it. They do offer the 243 cal, but then cerakoting on top of that.

This is going to be a hunting rifle for him and I figured the camo would be a nice touch. I have to keep price range in mind as well. There aren't that many manufacturer's of an AR in 243. If I do get a complete upper, it won't match the camo coating. :banghead: The Remington has a short bull barrel, so it'll be easier to maneuver for him. I have to keep in mind something that isn't a sniper rifle with a long barrel (he needs to be able to easily handle it in a blind) and I don't want it to be too heavy either (don't want him having a heart attack lugging it to his blind) when it's fully decked out.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by JUICE9269.
9 years 11 months ago #37794

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits

Why even convert to a piston system in the first place.
When messing with 5.56 piston conversions, the rifles were never as accurate as they were running the factory configuration. Your rifle, your money, your decision......been down that road before and it was just a waste of time and money.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
9 years 11 months ago #37795

You could also buy a complete AR10 upper receiver, less the barrel, then purchase a barrel chambered for the .243.
I have thought about doing that, but, with .308 and .243 boxes of ammo, A feller`d have to be mighty carefull.
A .308 going down a .243 tube would`nt be purdeee. Juz saying. :soapbox: :busted: :rotfl:
9 years 11 months ago #37798

Replied by JUICE9269 on topic AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits

I appreciate the feedback. I agree that there are junk systems and guns out there and one could waste their money. There are a few good ones though and with advancements in technology as well as machining, I think one would be hard pressed to say all piston systems are junk or inferior by todays standards.

If say a piston system shoots a 1 inch group at 100 yds and the GI shoots 1/2 inch @ 100 yds, I'm not worried about it for this setup. I'm not looking for this to be a 1,000 yard gun, he'll never be in a situation to shoot more than at most 300 yds if that. At these long ranges then yes, the argument can be made. My contention is there are several factors between the two types of guns that are usually different, hard to compare apples to apples. Also when changing, ammo can play a factor as with any gun.

Part of the problem I'm running into is not many companies make a 243 barrel or upper. If they do, how do I match camo patterns without cerakoting the entire gun. I got this gun with camo for a decent price vs a black gun then having it cerakoted. None of this is meant to be offensive or argumentative. Want to provide my thoughts and where I'm at with this.
9 years 11 months ago #37814

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR10 Gas Piston Conversion Kits

Give it the personal touch and camo it yourself with some Krylon, lots of good videos can be found with a google search.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 11 months ago #37818

I have seen, at different times, upper receivers in the .243 Cal.
Armalite has had them and a gunsmith friend was showing Me some in a catalog that He had.
You might give Armalite or Bushmaster a call and see what they can come up with.
I used to constantly check the Armalite website for the upper in .243, When they finally did have them in stock, I could`nt afford to spend the eight hundred bucks furit. :whip: :cowboy:
9 years 11 months ago #37821

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!