Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

• Thank you received: 2

Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one? was created by johnmcgowan

Hi Folks, Im new to the forum and have a Armalite AR10 in 243 Winchester on the way... :clap: . This will be my first ar of any type. I plan to use it as a coyote rig and if I can get it dialed in, I would maybe like to try out some mid and long range paper punching too.
Just checking to see who out there has a rig like this in this caliber and what are your thoughts about your rifle, both good and bad. The plan as of now is to use 95 to 100 grain boolits/reloads to see how she shoots. Does anyone have a good recipe or a starting point for reloads that you would care to share? I would like to try to use the same powder as Im currently using for my Win 270 and that is Hodgden H4350 as well as H4831sc. Would really like to hear from you as far as how good yours shoots,etc... Any mods that you have done to make yours a better shooter, etc..?
Thanks in advanced for your reply!!
John
9 years 9 months ago #40546

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Welcome John. Can't help you on the 243 Winchester, but I am interested to see what it does. Always felt the 243 is what the military should have adopted in the 1960's instead of the 5.56. Read some threads and talk to Night Force if there is a reload recipe you want some background data on. He can provide some useful information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmcgowan
9 years 9 months ago #40548

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

:welcome: Aboard John!

There is a lot of reloading information available for the 243 Winchester and between me and you I think it's a damn fine cartridge for the AR10 platform. In addition to the links below also see the attached PDF file from Sierra.

Handloads

Snipers Hide

Nosler

Personally, I feel the 7mm08 is another ideal cartridge that's well suited for the AR10 Platform...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, johnmcgowan
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by NightForce.
9 years 9 months ago #40564

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

.243 gets a lot of play in the White Tail community and I have friends who swear by it for hunting...
9 years 9 months ago #40571

Replied by johnmcgowan on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Guys, thank you for all the info!! Night force, thanks for the links, there is lots of good info the read up on.
I have bought some hornady sst 95 gr boolits that a guy was selling a month or so ago and I bought about 300 rounds of these and I think thats what I'll use to work up some load date with after I shoot it a bit with some factory 100 gr coreloks ..... it'll be about 3 to 4 weeks before I receive my rifle and Im getting excited about it already :banghead:
Does anyone know what the barrel twist is as it comes from Armalite? Im thinking it will have the 20 inch barrel on it ?
Thanks yet again!!!!!!!! I'll let you know when I go and pick it up. :wave:
John
9 years 9 months ago #40580

Ok, Christmas has come in July boys!!!!!!!!!
My AR10 is in hand and needless to say I am happy happy happy!!
It has the adjustable buttstock , 20 inch barrel with 1 in 10 twist , no muzzle brake and I also got two of the 20 round mags as well as the factory 10 rounder. It came with 30mm scope rings so I need to ask yall what scopes are you liking for this gun? Its going to serve as a coyote/deer/pig hunting rig but man oh man I sure would like try out for the first time some semi-long range shooting with it, say out to 400-500 yards, that is once I get her broken in and hopefully its gonna be a shooter.
Any scopes that would serve me for the above mentioned plans without breaking the bank, say 200 to 300 bucks? Would you go with a hunting plex or a mil-dot type reticle? Pros and or cons of either type reticle ?
I have a Nikon Prostaff on my Remington 243 model 7400 semi auto that its a 3x9x40 that I bought last year that seems to do fairly well for what its used for ( hunting) .
What say you folks? THANKS!!!!
John
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by johnmcgowan.
9 years 9 months ago #40924

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Big John, pics or it was only a dream...LOL
9 years 9 months ago #40926

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Congrats on the new rifle, I think it will work just fine for what you want it for. They are a little pricier, but you might see if you can find a Nikon Monarch. I have one of those on my standard rifle and like it a lot. Maybe in a 4x16. I have a Burris Fairfield on my 10T carbine, and like that also, though I don't think the optics are quite as good as the Nikon. I am in the market for a new scope right now for an AR15 match, but want to see what Texas Longshot on the forum here brings out.
9 years 9 months ago #40927

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

John,

There a little more expensive than $300 but the Nikon M308 is just what the doc ordered. I have this one on my AR-10 and got it for $475 through my local shop. For shots out to 500 yards I think this is the perfect addition for your .243 Winchester

Nikon M-308 Rifle Scope 4-16x 42mm BDC

This image is hidden for guests.

9 years 9 months ago #40939

Thanks cowboy and sisco !!
I simply cannot wait until I run some rounds thru this thing to see how she does but will have to get me a scope in order to do that.
About the pics.... I will try my best to get you some up this weekend. You see, at my house, there is a certain thing I have to do with certain toys and thats put the new things in stealth mode and sort of keep them down in the basement out of sight for a bit,...not that anyone on here would know anything about this. :naughty:

In the meantime for your viewing please and I know its off topic for this forum( moderator forgive me please) , but I have another hobby and that is RC airplanes. Here is me and my big head at an rc airplane event that was this past weekend down in Tuscaloosa, Al and we were to do the maiden first flight on my Grumman F6F Hellcat. A faulty elevator twitch showed up and we decided not to take the risk of trying to fly her for the first time until everything is 110%. It is in the primered state as of now and once she hopefully is flown and has all the bugs worked out, I will then do all the details and paint her up right. It weighs 23 lbs, has a 55cc gas engine, has rotating retracts just like the real plane, landing lights and navigation lights out on the wingtips. See what yall think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
9 years 9 months ago #40942

This message has an attachment image.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!