Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

That is cool! The Hellcat finished up what the Wildcat started in the Pacific, culminating in the Marianas Turkey Shoot, which pretty much knocked Japanese Naval Aviation out of the war except for the Kamikazes. The one concern I would have for the 308 BDC Nikon, is I don't know how close the .243 ballistics are to the .308, and don't know if they would be accurate enough to be usable. My Monarch is the same scope without the BDC.
9 years 9 months ago #40951

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by johnmcgowan on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Well hello again all!!!
Today I was finally able to snap a pic or two of my new toy :clap: :clap: . I went yesterday and got me a Vortex Diamondback 3.5x10x50 scope on her but still have not shot it yet.
Tell me this, do I need to disassemble and clean the rifle any before the first shots? Also, is there a tutorial or any pics anywhere here on this forum that will show me how and where to tear her down and clean it?
Thanks yet again!!
John

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by johnmcgowan.
9 years 8 months ago #41752

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Break it down and clean it. Make sure the bolt carrier group is well lubricated during break in, first 200 rounds. The manual that came with it should have detailed instructions. Not much different from an AR15, only bigger parts and a spring loaded firing pin.
9 years 8 months ago #41753

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Here's a decent video on firearm disassembly and cleaning for AR type rifles ...
9 years 8 months ago #41760

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Welcome to the forum John.
One thing that might need to be taken into consideration is, pressures and velocity.
I think the AR10s in the .308 caliber like it around 2800fps, You might want to check out those recommendations before loading up a bunch of rounds.
:nicethread: too.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
9 years 8 months ago #41773

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by 30CalFun on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

John, great looking rifle. I will be curious how it shoots, as I have been thinking about getting one for my girlfriend. I bet it will be accurate without much recoil. I have hunted many white tail deer with a .243 bolt gun (Win model 70) and it did a great job. Good luck and enjoy.
9 years 8 months ago #41792

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by JRH_ArmaLiteAR10T on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Subscribing to find out how the load buildup and accuracy results play out.
I would be interested in a .243 upper. Seems ArmaLite has dropped it from the catalog...
With my eyesight, I need a high power scope at least 20X to hit anything over 300 yards.

I have an A.R.M.S. throw-lever mount and high rings to get 50mm objective clearance and perfect return to zero quick release- so I keep the iron sight capability.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by JRH_ArmaLiteAR10T.
9 years 7 months ago #41986

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by ghostdance56 on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

An Armalite in 243 was my first AR. Killed my biggest whitetail to date with it using Hornady 95 grain SST. When I bought it there was lot of discussion as to whether an AR-10 would cycle properly in 243. I have never had any problems with any loads I have used but I have always been careful to use bullets with a sharp point whether polymer or copper; not round nosed or lead tipped.
I use a Nikon Monarch 3.5-10x50 and a one piece Armalite mount.
One suggestion I would make is to change out that rattly heat-shielded handguard for a free float. It's not hard to do.
Good luck and enjoy. :cheers:
9 years 7 months ago #42017

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Choose your powder carefully. You can't use all types of powder in an autoloader. The powder must be "timed" for your autoloader. I doubt the 4350 you wanted to use will work. Read up on it in your Sierra reloading manual. Also take some time and use the search function on this website a lot of this info has been discussed and answered already.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by JustMe.
9 years 7 months ago #42085

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by johnmcgowan on topic Armalite AR-10 in 243 Winchester, who has one?

Hello gang.
Just a note to say I havent forgotten yall :) , I have been able to go out and shoot a total of about 40 rounds thru my rifle, all those being 100 gr round nose factory rounds so far. No reloads as of yet. Jury is still out on the accuracy.
I was able to draw first blood this past weekend :evil: , I had gone out yote calling Sunday, the wind was up a good bit and saw no yotes but did have 2 beavers somehow get it the cross hairs of the 243 and lets just say their worries are over :) One was standing up at their beaver house and i put the cross hairs center mass at about 50 yards out and he did a backflip and then off into the water. The other one I got a good head shot on him as he was swimming back to his house.
Im a little concerned about the clearance of the charging handle and the back of the scope, there's just not a lot of room there to rack the handle back, especially since the release tab is on the left side of the handle and Im right handed. Any options out there to change this handle over to something else or just what?
I walked a good bit Sunday and dont mind telling you this AR got heavy pretty quickly in its stock form. Is this just the way its going to be or are there some options out there for me to shed some weight on this critter?
As always, I appreciate your input!!
John
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by johnmcgowan.
9 years 6 months ago #42660

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!