Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

• Thank you received: 0

New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know was created by harryhollis

thank you for reviewing my post. I have recently purchased an Armalite AR10 .308 caliber from a family friend. This is my first AR10 and second AR type rifle. Im pretty knowledgable about firearms but this rifle I have bought I cannot find any information on nor a similar rifle to compare.

The rifle was ordered with the heavy chrome barrel in 2002 by the original owner. I cannot find another Armalite AR 10 with this barrel in my researching. Original owner says it was a factory install at new per order.

If someone could take a look at my pic of the rifle and help me, I hope someone in the know can share some insight into exactly what I have.its the rifle in my avatar, trying to download the pic

Thank you!

]
9 years 7 months ago #42206

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

Any model number or marks on the barrel?
Armalite will send you a letter with build details for a fee;
www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Categor...98-8d55-344359708f5a
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 7 months ago #42208

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

JT has the best solution. It looks to be an AR10T. If it is that is a stainless steel, not a chrome barrel. Armalite will know for sure.
9 years 7 months ago #42209

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

Or you could just shoot it. You already own it. While it's nice to know the details of production why pay money for this info? Just shoot it and enjoy it.
9 years 7 months ago #42212

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

In general, most barrels have a manufacturers marking on them somewhere. I would remove the hand guard and inspect it all the way to the upper receiver barrel nut. :thumbs:
9 years 7 months ago #42214

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

It's bound to be a stainless barrel, doubt it is chrome lined. It would be interesting to find out if the early T's didn't have free float barrels. I thought the T had them from the start but can't find any reference for it.
The flash hider or comp is unlike anything I've seen on a factory ArmaLite. Looks like a one of a kind to me.....
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 7 months ago #42217

Replied by HeloMech on topic New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

Your rifle appears to be a 10A4BSF. This rifle is the same as the 10A4BF but with a SST barrel. It usually comes with a standard flash suppressor. Yours appears to be aftermarket.

The 10A4BSF is not a standard offering from Armalite. They offer this model when they have extra SST barrels lying around and Operations decides to put them on the production schedule to build a few.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by HeloMech. Reason: syntax error
9 years 7 months ago #42220

Replied by harryhollis on topic New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

hey thank you very much. going into safe today and following up on the info.
9 years 7 months ago #42221

Replied by harryhollis on topic New AR 10 owner has question for those in the know

wow thanks for all the replies. yes I have enjoyed shooting the rifle, as I am coming from ten years in the AK camp. AR's are a new area where my knowledge is very limited. The barrel with the muzzle break is what baffles me. But yes Im enjoying it for the 300 meter range days...
9 years 7 months ago #42222

stainless barrel it is heavy as all be got.
9 years 7 months ago #42223

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!