Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Is it me?

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Is it me?

Just because you talked to one jerk, who had a bad morning because his wife bitched him out before work, is not a reason to judge the weapon, or the company.
If you are not satisfied with your answer, ask to talk to a supervisor, or a gunsmith at the firm.
I just spen 3 hours on the phone trying to get a correct rear sight for my Taurus PT99 , the first 2 guys I talked to were courteous, but not knowlagable.
My 9MM was made in 02, and they have changed the rear sight design since then.
When I was finally allowed to talk to the gunsmith who does their repairs, he immediately said ''Oh yes yours takes the wider rear sight" It took a little persistence but I finally got through to the right guy.
I do reload, and had been shooting 168 gr. Nosler match bullets, in my LR .308..
When I decided to try some 168 gr. ballistic tip bullets , as I was going out west to shoot prairie dogs with it.
I took test loads to the range, and discovered that I had the same problem as you did.
I had to go home, and re seat all the bullets deeper in the case.
IMO You will find that rifles made for the civilian market, are a tighter chamber, than ones made for the military.
If you take a once fired case that is mil-surp. try to put a bullet into the fired case, you will see how sloppy it is.
And try the same thing with a case fired from your rifle.
I had to buy a small base die, as most of the National Match brass I buy is fired from M-14's, and they even buldge next to the case head.
IMO battle rifles are not always cared for, as they should be, and a round will still chamber in a dirty and fouled chamber.
Your rifle COULD have too short of a throat , and if you still have one of your rounds that did not chamber, go to the SAAMI website, and look at the chamber specs for .308, and measure from the rifling marks on the bullet to the rear of the case, and see where it compares to their specs.
The best way, is with a chamber cast, but gunsmiths charge for that.
I had a batch of S&B .5.56 ammo, that had the same problem as you, and after sending an email to the company, they sent me a refund check.
Let us know how you come out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83, Siscowet, Libertarian623
9 years 4 months ago #43811

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Is it me?

Silverman, is S & B ammo Squires and Bingham, by chance?
9 years 4 months ago #43824

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Is it me?

Good thought.

I am with the others, get a box of fresh quality ammo and try to repeat the problem, if not blame it on ammo, if so then call AR and tell them it failed with both.

Like the help desk, everyone gets a hundred calls a day for the most minor of all things...my computer will not boot up...have you checked to see if its plugged in? No! And I could go on and on. So arm yourself with having done the basics, like trying fresh high quality ammo, inspect the chamber for objects not belonging there and insuring your ammo is clean. You have done the basics, then they guy on the help desk can begin to ascertain the problem or have it sent in for inspection...
9 years 4 months ago #43828

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Is it me?

I really did not want to mention names.
LOL
9 years 4 months ago #43835

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by REnn on topic Is it me?

I had a similar problem and found that it was not the OAL but the base of the case that was a bit too big for the chamber. I resized them again and they function fine now.
9 years 4 months ago #43858

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!