Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

.243 Upper

• Thank you received: 529

.243 Upper was created by OleCowboy

Trying to find a .243 upper to fit my AR 10T. Anyone with leads or info please post...
9 years 3 months ago #43915

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic .243 Upper

Cowboy I have been looking and there is not one to be found right now. I think you would be better off getting a upper and rebarreling. Rather than waiting, with a 243 your only conservatively getting 1500 to 3000 rounds through it. So you will find barrels available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, OleCowboy
9 years 3 months ago #43935

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic .243 Upper

Lib, talked with AR yesterday. They said they made them up until last year. I have missed 2 so far that were NIB AR uppers, one was $450.

Its my thought that AR and others have missed an opportunity. Unless you educate people that the upper is a "direct fit on all AR 10" folks don't see the connection. Heck I did not see it until I bought my wife her .243 for XMAS and I started researching the .243 cal.

I may have to go with your suggestion and thanks on that, but since we have one in house with my wife's, I am going to hawk the auction sites in hopes of landing one. I see it as making my AR 10 a more utilitarian weapon. 308 is a bit much for the small whitetails we have that barely break a 100 lbs. Another beauty is that you can go on a hunt and take both with you. It also makes for a good hog killer if you are chasing the smaller ones.
9 years 3 months ago #43937

Cowboy - Here is a reasonable price on a barrel that is available.You may want to snatch it up while you can. www.dpmsinc.com/-243-Win_c_202.html
9 years 3 months ago #43938

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic .243 Upper

I'm not so sure a DPMS barrel would be compatible with an Armalite rifle? I recently read a post on another forum that had several experienced 308 AR builders stating not to mix brands between barrels and BCG. Then again it is the internet.........
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #43939

JT my understanding is that if you use just the barrel, and check head space it will work. Also heard that on anything other than very early Armalites you could swap BCG and will be GTG. But if there was anything questionable take it to a smith and have him throw a couple head space gauges in. If it doesn't work for some reason there would be nothing that a good smith wouldn't be able to adjust very quickly.
9 years 3 months ago #43942

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic .243 Upper

I was looking for a .243 upper, Armalite did have them at that time, about 750 bucks, Just cold`nt afford it.
Would sure make a nice addition to the AR10 though.
I do remember something about getting the gas system setup correctly.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by MrMarty51.
9 years 3 months ago #43947

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!