Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Explain

• Thank you received: 102

Explain was created by BUILDING MY SASS

I have been doing some research into match components, and I am having some trouble understanding the real difference between a two stage tactical trigger (which I have) and a two stage match trigger. Mine is set on the top setting of three notches, the lightest if I understand the mechanics right (which works great for me). I guess I don't know the real difference. I know accessories quite well, but I lack the technical knowledge to discern the difference. I have read several articles that say "match parts have no place in a combat weapon", ok fine, how about on the range. Any light on this subject would be helpful.

BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 11 months ago #1498

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Explain

The good ones your going to pay for, and the so so ones is chump change. It's just so much ink that can be put on paper so look at the mechanics of the system, some are just better than the others. Think reducing friction.MSH
14 years 11 months ago #1499

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Explain

MSH, ok, the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Not to seem arrogant. How about a brief description, the difference is, crisper pull, able to adjust the pull easier, it messages your finger (chuckle,,a Joke). A little something would help, or a sight I can go to that would explain in detail...Please.
Oh ya, I found two drop ins, what do you think of these? One is the Timney AR-10 drop-in trigger and the other I was looking was Wilson Combat's drop-in trigger, any thoughts on these?
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 11 months ago #1511

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:Explain

The way I understand it, a match trigger for an AR type rifle will have a 4.5# pull at let-off because that is the rule for service rifle competition. Creep will be low but still noticeable which is why most are two stage. A varmint or bolt gun target trigger will have the sear engagement very small so that creep is non-existant and also a light pull weight. Such a set up will probably release if the rifle is dropped or jarred. This is why tactical guys say it has no place on a battle rifle. These guys shoot 1000+ rounds a day in stressfull situations with minimal maintenance / cleaning and a target trigger is not going to hold up and is just plain dangerous in these situations. If you want a lower pull weight, Geissle's DMR trigger is like their match but with a lower pull. I have no personal experience but Geissle is legendary on the forums. Try www.americantrigger.com, just read all the information, it gives a good overview of the design and limits of the AR trigger system and how they dealt with the issue of short, light pull and safety. When I can afford it, this is the trigger I want. I don't remember what the difference is between the Armalite 2 stage match and 2 stage tactical but would guess the tactical has more engagement (creep) and higher pull weight. I saw a description of the difference on their site but can't find it now. Maybe in their tech notes? There's a wealth of info there.
14 years 11 months ago #1517

Thank you for that, it helps. I have been on the home site quite abit for info, I guess I missed it. I actually do like my two stage tactical, the creep is nice for making sure of my shot without an oops. I was thinking about the match if I decide to do some competition shooting. As you said about the triggers on a bolt, your not kidding there. I have a Remington 770--.30-06 that has a scary pull, around 1 to 1.5 pull, and by the it's junk!!!!don't buy one. Anyway thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
BMS

14 years 11 months ago #1518

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I might have had a slight advantage over you all with triggers. I've never had triggers that pulled over 1.5 lbs. My dad wouldn't allow it. Lets go back in time, dad ran the marine rifle team from 1950 -1960. I have seen people get killed with 4.5 lb triggers and 2 oz triggers. Its what you are most at ease with, and that is key on this subject. It was driven into me by that old Iwo marine to take ever advantage you can. In competition or in combat shooting a great trigger gives you an atvantage. In combat dad and I were both winners because of our light triggers. I never missed on the first shot and can write about it now. The main piont is the best leaverge advantage can be weighted to any pull. So be safe and get what you like. I use all Jards on the AR style rifles now because they can be tuned close to the single stage bolt gun triggers that I grew up with. That fits my shooting.MSH
14 years 11 months ago #1520

Thank You for your input, really. In all actuality, I'm realy not sure what that 770 has for pull, you don't want your finger anywhere near the trigger when you take the safety off (boom), like I said SCARY. As for my two stage tactical on the AR-10, I'll have to find one of those trigger pull gizmo's (haha) and find out exactly what the pull is. Just curious, what do you think of the two triggers I mentioned.
Anyway, thanks to the both of you, Its helped.....BMS

14 years 11 months ago #1521

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I had 1 student that had a Timney and I thought it was a warmed over stock style unit. The wilson is much the same. I am useing these units to fix my FALs because they adapt well.MSH
14 years 11 months ago #1522

I think your right on that, they are stock single stage drop-ins, I was just curious as to your opinion on them. I will probably just stay with my factory two stage, as it would be a pain to swap them out every time. I will just have to get in more practice, actually I am quite comfortable with it. Anyway, it was something I was just thinking about as an option for competition shooting. Thanks for all your help.
BMS

14 years 11 months ago #1523

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!