Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New DEF-10 ... FINALLY ARRIVED !!!

• Thank you received: 26

New DEF-10 ... FINALLY ARRIVED !!! was created by GRA

Folks I am most pleased to announce that my first ArmaLite AR10 arrived day before yesterday. I purchased the base DEF-10 model carbine and I could not be happier (even if the PMAG only holds 20 rounds ... :silly: ).

New warranty has been registered and I am waiting on ArmaLite to call. :)

Unfortunately due to the weather here I have not been able to fire the rifle yet. Way too wet for the only outdoor 100 yard range I have easy access to.

The pro(s):

So far, I can tell this is a very well made weapon and the balance is far better than I expected. They shipped this very, very WET. Had oil all over the place. After a good wipe-down I was very pleased with the finish. Both the lower receiver and the barrel have some very unique designs that add some class in my opinion. In short, I'm very impressed with this weapon right out of the box. :thumbs:

Con(s):

The front A2 hand guards seem a bit loose, at least compared to what I am used to. :unsure:

I also wished ArmaLite still offered the OD green furniture for these like they used to but again, the "black rifle" is what it's really all about. ;)

Plans:

I plan on eventually changing to the ArmaLite A2 gunstock and possibly the ArmaLite factory 2-stage tactical trigger.

I'll figure out some way to shim the front hand guards a little tighter. Need to find some aluminum stock that will work, most likely about .025 in thickness. Aluminum or maybe even brass or nickel silver should do it.

I still need to work out the sights and optics issues. I'm tempted to purchase the ArmaLite A2 bolt on carry handle and A2 front sight(s) ... does anyone have any experience with this setup?

Of course, I need to buy my "field spares", such as springs and small parts. If any of you have some vendor suggestions in mind please let me know. I don't think the new ArmaLite sight has the buy online features worked out yet.

I must say I'm looking very forward to sharing the new experiences of what appears to be a fine US-made firearm. :twothumbs:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by GRA.
8 years 8 months ago #45401

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic New DEF-10 ... FINALLY ARRIVED !!!

I bought a spare parts kit and spare spring set directly from ArmaLite, still need to get me another bolt catch as the B model is a proprietary part. I have an extra extractor spring set if you need one, bore solvent will break down the plug at a faster pace.
I use a Matech rear sight but have the ArmaLite detachable front sight, works like all the rest including the AR-15 and M-16's, biggest problem I have is "old eyes" syndrome.
Were exactly is the looseness in the hand guards? Most are real snug.
Clean all that storage lube out of it and then soak it down good during break in. Oh Yeah, buy twice as much ammo as you think you might need :twothumbs:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GRA
8 years 8 months ago #45403

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic New DEF-10 ... FINALLY ARRIVED !!!

I recieved a carry handle and A2 front sight with my BNMF. They're nice equipment, but if I were in the market for iron sights I'd go with the Magpul BUIS Pro. The reason I say that is that I'm primarily a scope guy. The BUIS can co-exist with the scope mount and then be brought into play if it fails.

I used to have some Redfield mounts on a Win 70 that allowed you to use the iron sights along with a scope, but they were very high and unwieldy, and tended to lose zero. Same thing with the old "Tip Off" mounts. The BUIS is second best in ease of use, but far superior in repeatability.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
8 years 8 months ago #45406

Replied by GRA on topic New DEF-10 ... FINALLY ARRIVED !!!

Just got the new Midwest Industries special mag block front and rear sights installed the other day. It's now time for the range.

Future plans; A2 buttstock and a good optic. Any and all optics suggestions will be appreciated regardless of price and/or reticles/red dots.

Pending the outcome of my first range trip, I'll see what trigger(s) might be better. :thumbs:
8 years 8 months ago #45481

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic New DEF-10 ... FINALLY ARRIVED !!!

Could You post a pic. or two of Your rifle, that would be nice and, I`d even add a thank You toit. :busted:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
8 years 8 months ago #45484

What type of shooting are you planning for? Hunting, long range, or just a paper puncher?
Geissele triggers are great, they have one for every application. I prefer a two stage myself.
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 8 months ago #45485

I will indeed once I figure out the bugs of doing that with this Apple computer. :banghead:

I've tried certain advice before but to no avail. I'm thinking I'm going to have to try that via Firefox using Microsoft Office which I don't have on this computer.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by GRA.
8 years 8 months ago #45487

A lot of punching paper to begin with, mostly short range at first but when I retire this next year I'll have time to go to the longer distance ranges, so I could say long range is in my future. The closest 200 + yard range I have access to so far is about 100 miles away outside of Beaumont.

I will also have more time to pursue some of our monster Texas hogs. :)
8 years 8 months ago #45488

Here is a link to a review I did on my Bushnell SMRS 1x6.5x. It continues to impress me, I'm thinking I may get another with the the other reticle version.

www.ar10t.com/forums/rifle-scopes/14563-...-6-5x24-scope-review

I really like the true 1x for use like a red dot then just spin the knob and I'm good to 300 yards or better. It took a good beating in a car accident and didn't change zero.
They make a version with 1x-8x with a 34mm tube that uses the same reticle.
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by jtallen83.
8 years 8 months ago #45489

That was impressive and is just what I think I may need. I'll start watching that model when the next good sales hit.

I have an EoTech to get me by for now but in our Texas sunlight it's basically worthless, even with the magnifier.

I have a Leatherwood that I'm using on my AR15 rifle and don't want to mess with it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Again ... that is the type of red dot that I can use with my aging eyes. :twothumbs:
8 years 8 months ago #45492

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!