Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Cam Pin

• Thank you received: 4

Cam Pin was created by MarkM

I'm a lucky guy to run into jtallen83 again. :thumbs:
You must be fed up with all my damn questions. Anyway, why does the cam pin roll like a cam pin? That is... why aren't they made circular like P.O.F.'s pin? Why do they need four landings? Does this type of pin grind against the chassis wall in irregular but even spaced metal against metal wear.

Sincerely,
MarkM :bow:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GRA
8 years 8 months ago #45664

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Cam Pin

When in spec the cam pin does not touch anything except the carrier and the bolt. I had this same question about 2 years ago, here is the thread, it gets a bit sidetracked but well worth reading through;

www.ar10t.com/forums/specialty-manufactu...ler-cam-pin?start=10

Check out this thread for a good overview on the exact functions of the BCG parts, from the guy that was the head Armourer at ArmaLite for years( as well as many real world applications);

www.ar10t.com/forums/gunsmiths/14045-piston-rifles#30319

Basically the the roller serves no purpose in a DI gun, the forces in a piston driven gun may bring it into play with the carrier tilt issue but then this is a band-aide for a design flaw from my perspective.

I never tire of helping with information, many others much more knowledgeable have helped me along the way. Just ask and I'll do my best to help! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GRA
8 years 8 months ago #45665

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!