Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ammo types

• Thank you received: 4

ammo types was created by MarkM

Everyone probably will have different answers because every weapon is different, but for breaking in, what ammo and grain did you use. Once broken in, what ammo and grain is your go to now. I'm buying myself an A10TBNF for Christmas, hence the barrel is 20" Stainless steel, triple lap etc. etc.

Thank You!

P.S. - What range of grains work well in the AR10
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by MarkM. Reason: forgot another question I had
8 years 4 months ago #46618

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic ammo types

In my standard 20 inch AR-10 I've had everything from MK319, M80 ball, and 175 grain stuff work well for me. Even within the same bullet weight different loads have an edge. I get groups in the just under 1 MOA range with the MK319( 130 grain) and 7.62 FGMM. Had my best group ever with Freedom Munitions 175 gr. match but the last two batches of that were lousy...........
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkM
8 years 4 months ago #46619

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic ammo types

Suggestion; Pick up some ZQ1 147 gr M80 ball at walmart.for $9.99, Get some 168 gr and 175 gr Boat tail hollow points like Federal Gold Medal Match, one box of each as it is pricey. If you can find some Federal 130 gr MK 319 Mod 0 like JT talks about, get a box of that. I used standard M80 to break both my barrels in. Take those four rounds out and try them after breaking in your barrel. You may see no difference in any of the loads as far as groups, or you may see some difference. But you will enjoy finding out which is best for your rifle. Then Experiment with other ammo manufacturers, Hornady, Cor Bon, etc.,when you find what weight it likes.
8 years 4 months ago #46621

Replied by MarkM on topic ammo types

All info is much appreciated from you two guys. :wave: Others also deserve thanks :cheer: I often read about Lake City, we all know how the gov. basically screws everything up. I have read that the brass is good stuff and is friendly to multiple reloads due to its thickness. I do know I'll be happy buying it for a while before I batch up off my own dope. I did however buy a calculator 1/2 - 1/4 MOA just to see what's going on. :blink: Thanks Again guys goodnight.
8 years 4 months ago #46625

Mark, my mistake. I went back through my notes and found I used M118 LR with a 175 gr BTHP for my break in of my AR10 T. Sorry about that.
8 years 4 months ago #46626

Replied by MarkM on topic ammo types

Don't worry Siscowet,
Just like you kept notes. Your info goes in my notes. To carry on.......and on........forever. Ha! Ha!

Mark
8 years 4 months ago #46629

Mark, actually it pays to keep a pocket notebook for each one of your rifles. When you reload, it is almost mandatory to keep straight what loads and bullets, primers, brass, etc. give the best performance. I mentioned M118LR. That is one of the military's standardized sniper cartridges. That might be a good one to try out and break in a new barrel with. It is pretty hot, by the way. It is pushing a 175 gm Sierra Match King Boat Tail Hollow Point. Next to my Moly coated 168 grains, are one of the more accurate factory loaded cartridges in both my rifle and carbine.
8 years 4 months ago #46630

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic ammo types

I really like Black Hills match......168gr
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
8 years 4 months ago #46631

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Osiek on topic ammo types

Black Hills match. 168gr and 175gr groups sub moa in sass ar-10
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Osiek. Reason: Spell check
8 years 4 months ago #46686

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!