Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Please help me find the right AR-10

• Thank you received: 0

Please help me find the right AR-10 was created by Zabby

Ok, so here's the deal. I already have my harris bipod and a very nice 6x18 scope. I am looking for an AR10 that I will mostly used to punch paper benchrest 0-300 yards and occasionally set up and take out Coyotes and such. I have 1500 left, what rifle would you reccomend? I reload and know about calibers/distance and such, so no need to get into that stuff. Thanks for the help!
14 years 10 months ago #1627

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Zabby on topic Re:Please help me find the right AR-10

Oh and also, I am willing to buy a AR-15 instead if that betters my options.
14 years 10 months ago #1628

Replied by taticalrifle on topic Re:Please help me find the right AR-10

If you are looking to spend $1500, I would go with the ar-15. I would get a bull barrel. I have a 24" bull barrel ar-15 and 500 to 600 yards is no problem (milk jugs don't stand a chance) You can build one for less than $1000 with no problem. I hope this helps.
14 years 10 months ago #1629

Ok, so lets say Ar-15. Would it be better to buy assembled parts? or buy the whole thing? If im going .223 I wasnt awsome accuracy. So, 1500, where do I start?
14 years 10 months ago #1630

Replied by taticalrifle on topic Re:Please help me find the right AR-10

It would be cheaper to build one from parts. the nice thing about building one is st gives you a better understanding of the rifle. They are easy to build, parts are getting easier to find. You can buy the upper assembly already assembled with all the other parts minus the lower reciever for about $600. A lower receiver for about $120 to $200.
14 years 10 months ago #1631

Ok, so what would be the best upper for me. How about example of one for .308 and one for .223. Also, how much will the tools cost me? I already have allens and the usual tools.
14 years 10 months ago #1632

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Please help me find the right AR-10

223 tops abd 308 tops fidend-dit. One or the other.MSH
14 years 10 months ago #1633

Not quite sure what you mean, im not too good with the shorthand haha. Thanks!
14 years 10 months ago #1634

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Please help me find the right AR-10

If you go with an AR-10 (ArmaLite) or another such as Rock River, a little less $$ (Edge has them and he likes them)or which ever, it is not going to be cheap, depending on what you are going to do to it. I have over 3K wrapped up in mine, and it is stock for the most part, and I'm still not done. Something to think about, 1500 will get you started.
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 10 months ago #1637

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Please help me find the right AR-10

If you're just going to punch paper up to 300 yards and maybe do a bit of coyote hunting, then I'd probably opt for a .223 also. You might look into a Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit, or similar. www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...play&category_id=229 These generally run around $1000 in the store, or you could build one for cheaper.

The RRA's rifles have the benefit of being chambered in 223 Wylde, which means they work well using both .223 and 5.56 x 45 ammo. You'll want a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 rifle twist rate so you can shoot the heavier bullets. Get a Stainless barrel, chrome lined barrels generally are not as accurate.

If you would rather have a .308 and think that you might want to shoot at further ranges, then I'd find a target grade like an AR10T, RRA LAR-8 Varmint or DPMS LR-308L or similar.

If you can reload you'll be able to find a load that works best in your rifle. Most match grade ammo from Federal, BlackHills, etc. works great in these rifles, but can get expensive.
14 years 10 months ago #1639

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!