Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

what do i need to know?

• Thank you received: 0

what do i need to know? was created by cruzie27

brand spanking new to the AR-10 world,. just got a Armalite stripped lower,.. looking to build up something that will be a 1 moa or less shooter with good optics and a effective can.

more than likely going to shoot 168's or 175's thru it unsuppressed,.. and i have no idea what to run thru the can.

so what do i need to know?

barrel length,. twist rate,. trigger groups,. handguards,.gas blocks,. gas tubes,. anything and everything that could be useful to know.

hope to learn alot here.
14 years 8 months ago #1924

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:what do i need to know?

So just a couple of thoughts.
There are various sources that suggest most cartridges get their burn primarily finished between 18" and 20", so a lot of companies produce 20" barrel precision rifles. You can go longer, less flash, maybe a bit more speed, but it becomes a question of diminishing returns for the dollar in my view. Mine happens to be a 16" because it was cheap :) Otherwise I'd have gone with 20"

My Armallite rifle barrel is heavy, from stainless steel, and has a RH 1:11.25 twist and hits within a MOA. I know of someone with a DPMS Panther SASS that can do the same with it's 1:10 twist. Not sure how much difference it really makes, maybe others can comment other preferences.

I recommend a free float handguard, seems to help. Mine happens to have an aluminum quad rail which is mostly handy for the light and forward grip I prefer. Would be good for those using a bipod, laser or such as well.

Start saving for glass, an iffy scope on an accurate rifle still makes for iffy shots :)
14 years 8 months ago #1929

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:what do i need to know?

Crux pretty much nailed it down, my A4 CB is all factory, I also have the 16" barrel but mine is a standard barrel and I have pulled down sub moa on a couple of shots at a 100 yards.
I guess the big question is what are you building it for?
Hunting, comp shooting, defense, frozen milk jugs...LOL. In my opinion that is the question to be answered in order to know just how to build it.
For example, if building a defensive weapon you do not want a match trigger, a two stage tactical trigger would be better.
As for the optics, Crux is most definitely correct, I went through two, or I should say my baby ate them....LOL cheap scopes, even if they say it is tested on """""" most likely they will not hold up to the AR-10 platform.
I have a long list of accessories so if you need some advice on them, I will be glad to assist you, as for the Tech stuff out side of factory parts I am not well versed, but there are people here that do know all the things needed to aid you.
Best of luck............
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 8 months ago #1932

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by cruzie27 on topic Re:what do i need to know?

looking to build a precision semi auto.

I have a pile of other toys for other uses but the only other semi auto i have that produces the kind of accuracy i want is my M1A,. which i would rather leave in its standard setup as i could build a complete rifle after i get thru changing everything over to NM specs

i have a flat top upper w/fa on the way,. looking at the magpul stock,. and more than likely a mil-dot Leupold Mk4 for glass, the barrel will be a Krieger unless i can get one from Armalite. i will stick with the SASS's 20 inch length and 11.25 twist,. so that will put my rifle on a diet of 175's once it is built. as for everything else i plan on getting a pile of other parts from another 762 site.

not to sure on the f/f tube though,. dont now if i should go with the factory one or look for someone else's with the correct thread pitch. the trigger is still up in the air, but more than likely i will go with a Geissele set up.

so other than the barrel,. handguard,.stock,. and trigger i want to stuff as many Armalite parts into this build as possible, or at least that is the plan.
14 years 8 months ago #1964

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!