Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

gas piston conversion

• Thank you received: 0

gas piston conversion was created by haskell

has anyone heard of a conversion kit for an ar10? which would be better a long stroke or a short stroke? i work at a machine shop, so if there isn't one out there why couldn't i get a ar15 kit and size and temper to fit? it'd be for a 24 inch 308 for now but possibly a short mag later.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by haskell.
14 years 4 months ago #2584

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:gas piston conversion

Look back in some of the threads about this but in short the pistons are factureing the thread area on the AR 15s barrel nut attachment point after 20000 rounds. So make you a steal upper or you will pay the price. This aint a hear say it's happening to every piston system that we tried for army use. I fell to see how any patent has been issued on any of the systems, they are all coppies of other systems . The only new version that has come out is the AK 107-108 opposite piston system.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2585

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:gas piston conversion

I actually don't have any experience with the piston systems, but I trust MSH's statement on this, even though I got crucified on another site for answering someones question on the problems of piston systems.....
But to my knowledge the only two that have piston "AR" style rifles in .308 are LWRC and HK, with SIG rumored to have one out sometime in the next year....I know it is not much help, but it is all I know for now....

BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 4 months ago #2613

Replied by rnb873091 on topic Re:gas piston conversion

I have a LWRC in 223 that has fired in excess of 35000 rounds and at this point it still shows no cracking (I just checked after this post) I would expect anyone on the market building a curret generation weapon to address the cracking issue, but that being said they may feel that a 20000 round service life is enough. RNB
14 years 4 months ago #2620

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:gas piston conversion

Did you pull the barrel and xray it or eddy it. If not it aint checked. You can't see them at first.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2621

No I don't have away here where I live to have this done, that being said even if it goes south I feel that the pistons system works so much better that the other system that I would be willing to give up upper service life for a gas piston system. I am old enough to have used the AR-15 system in the 60 in combat where they took my M-14 and gave me an inferior to me M-16 in it place, I have been using the system since as both a LEO for 40 years and LEO teacher but I think the newer gas piston system is a better system. I have a LWRC in 308 on order now, I foresee a time that you will not be able to sell a AR type weapon without a piston system> But that being said you never know whats going to happen tomorrow.
14 years 4 months ago #2626

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:gas piston conversion

Sorry to chime in on this technical thread, but with drooling over my key board in envy...LOL, upon receiving that weapon, PLEASE post a picture or two....and if you could find the time do a range report on it...I would love to have on of those....either the SABR OR REPR....
I love my AR-10, but some of the features of their weapons really appeal to me...will be interested as to the performance of it...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2627

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by RandR on topic Re:gas piston conversion

Okay Guys, Tell me what's the Big Deal. From what I have read the big benefit to gas piston is a cleaner bolt/receiver, correct? So if we do proper maintenance and not doing any full auto firing, whats the big deal? Especially for Civilian use? Oh, and not being able to sell a gas gun in the future, they still make and sell muzzle loaders! Seriously, RandR.

I think they are cool and all, but I ain't sellin my AR's to run out and buy one.
14 years 4 months ago #2629

The main thing you should under stand is even though the changes are small and as you say just do the maintenance and the system will work. People tend to follow the trends of what they read in the books and on sites like this, and let me tell you if you have ever dealt with Law enforcement Officers you will find they are always looking for the next great thing especially if it means less work no matter if it has a real advantage or not and once the trend starts the old system is soon regulated to a none cool status, and most importantly to them is being cool even if it in there own mind. I have been dealing with this problem for over 40 years with young officers and once the police start changing over you will soon find that the none LE market follows suite because they too see all the cool equipment in the same magazines and web sites and you now add that the Police ares using them it just too much to handle. And after 40 years I am still as guilty of chasing cool or the next great thing. That why I have another 308 main battle rifle or two on order, at my age I should be over it.
14 years 4 months ago #2630

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by RandR on topic Re:gas piston conversion

Thanks for your honesty! I thought I must really be missing something. I guess you don't miss what you don't have! Thanks RandR
14 years 4 months ago #2631

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!