Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR 10

• Thank you received: 0

Armalite AR 10 was created by deucer

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and just purchased an ArmaLite AR 10. I plan to use it to hunt deer, hogs, varmints, and whatever. It has a 16 inch barrel and a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 scope. I think Texas requires a 5 cartridge maximum magazine to legally hunt deer. I didn't see one on the ArmaLite site, and was curious as if anyone makes them. Also, Armalite recommends Black Hill match ammo. Anyone have any comment on Black Hills ammo? Any help appreciated.
14 years 3 months ago #2875

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by OldJarhead on topic Re:Armalite AR 10

Armalite makes 5, 10, 20 and 25 round mags if my memory serves me correctly. They dont necessarily have them when you want them. Contact the folks at 762SASS.com for pretty much anything you're looking for for the AR10. Get the new GenII style if you can, ealrier works just not as easy to load and could be cantankerous with the bolt-hold-open after last shot.
I'm in Texas, not sure about a 5 round max. I've carried my 20" A4 on many hunts, deer, hogs, coyote at the same time and had a 20rd stuffed full of handload 168HPBT Sierra's in LC brass in front of a load of H-BL(C)2 or something like that.
Black Hills match is good stuff, not a great deer round (little to no expansion) as I've proved this past year in West Texas on Whitetail. I'd go with Fed Premium 150 or 165 in a BT Spizter or something similar. I like the 168 match on hogs, head shots in the ear drops them fast. Nothing against match ammo as I use it to ring plates and punch holes in paper, just better choices of bullet for hunting deer.
Sounds like a nice rig with the optic setup and all. Good luck and have fun with the AR10, it's a hoot to shoot.
14 years 3 months ago #2876

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Armalite AR 10

Here's the link to the item:
www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=1060...37-a759-b2d36557d12d

Looks like they are out of stock atm, you might send em a note and ask when they expect to have them.

In my state you can also buy a hicap and insert something in the mag body to ensure only 5 rounds will fit. I'd probably do that because the cost of a hicap vs lo cap is so close.
14 years 3 months ago #2878

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Armalite AR 10

Sorry to say, I don't know much on the Mag laws, in mine, well being I work in sporting goods, I haven't heard anyone say it's a no on HI-cap mags....
On the ammo, my book said the same, I use Hornady 168gr BTHP, A-MAX, TAP, I also use the UtraMax 168 gr BTHP, and mine seems to like it.
I was told by ArmaLite, to try different types, with in the 150 to 175 range, to see what it liked, to use the comparison, it's like seasoning a frying pan, do it right and you can cook all day if you know what I mean. I also use the federal 150 gr SP just for making noise and holes...LOL. Use the same ammo for a few hundred rounds when you find the sweet ones, that way she is broke in with what you are going to shoot....if that makes sense.
Now that I am reloading, well I have to figure out what she like again.... :lol:, but give Hornady a try, it's spendy but worth it. :)
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 3 months ago #2879

Replied by deucer on topic Re:Armalite AR 10

Karma,
Thanks for the help. I did a little research, and I can hunt with a 20 or 30 round magazine. I'm new with the AR field and looking forward to a lot of fun shooting bulls eyes and hogs. I called ArmaLite with a question and couldn't believe how knowledgable and fast they were with information. They are unbelievably good. Anyhow, thanks for the help.
Good Luck and Good Shooting
Deuce
14 years 3 months ago #2881

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Armalite AR 10

They've always taken good care of me to be sure.
14 years 3 months ago #2886

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!