Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Good Day at the range

• Thank you received: 0

Good Day at the range was created by mrhog

Well yesterday some buddies and myself went to our range to check out a few new goodies and just a fun morning.
It seams Mother Nature had other ideas in mind. I wanted to break in my new super sass and see how it was going to do; after all I have had it for two weeks and haven't fired a round. The wind kicked up and we had a cross wind between 15 and 20 mph. After only 5 rounds we packed it in and headed home. The dust was whirling all around and thats not good when you need to clean the barrel after every shot.
Today was different! Around 54 and no wind. Ariving around 9 I had the range all to myself. I set out to finish the fun of the break in. Armalite suggests that you clean the bore after every shot for the first 9 rounds and then every 5 until you have around 30 through the barrel. This takes some time but is ok for time at the range is time well spent.
I only have some ball ammo to use right now but even with that I was able to squeeze out a 10 shot 1 1/4" group. I think I will have a great shooter when I have it all worked out. No pictures yet as I was by myself.
14 years 3 months ago #2937

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by randog on topic Re:Good Day at the range

OK you got my attention.
I have a super sass haven't shot it yet. I have a 6X20X50 LR Leupold I can mount on it. I got a list of how did you likes>
1. Trigger?
2. Recoil?
3. Magpul?
4. Do you have a suppressor?
5. What cleaning kit or supplies did you use for the break in?
6. What load did you use? brand and weight?
7. What at what range where you shooting 100meter?
That is a good 10 shot group for the break in hope she comes on in for ya as you go.
I hope to find some Black Hills amno in 175 grain to break mine in unless any of you think of something as good cheaper.
Thanks
Randog
14 years 3 months ago #2938

Replied by mrhog on topic Re:Good Day at the range

OK here goes:
The trigger is the stock national match. I didhave issues with this.For the first 9 rounds it worked flawlessly.then on #10 it started to hang fire.I pulled and it went snap, then snap again and bang. It was weird. I thought it just needed working in; but now I think it was just dry. This was the cause of that large group. I bielive that I can do better than that. After I came home and a little cleaning of the trigger and some gun oil it seems to be ok for now.
I was using armalite mags.
The cleaning was done with a m-16 rod and patch jag with shooters choice cleaner
The ammo was some bulk ball that I picked up at a gun show.I don't know where it came from.
All shooting was done at 100yrds. off a harris bi-pod and rear bag.
A nikon monarch 2.5-10 was the scope.
With a little more breaking in on that trigger and some match ammo this rifle should be a great shooter!
14 years 3 months ago #2940

Replied by randog on topic Re:Good Day at the range

Thanks for the info.
I have been holding this one for a friend don't think he is going to get it back so I am ready to start doing some shooting with it.
How long have you had yours and does it have the forward assist?
Mine was shipped out 1/19/09 and does not have the forward assist.
Where did you buy yours? and how much did you invest in the gun if you don't mind me asking.
Do you think it will be able to shoot as well as a top end bolt gun?
I bought some Lake City ammo 168 grain match at a gun show last year I have shot it in my ar10 carbine and it does well a little dirty but good.
I want to start with the good stuff on the SASS for the break in.
Good luck with that trigger I hope I don't have any issues.
I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again
14 years 3 months ago #2941

Replied by mrhog on topic Re:Good Day at the range

I've had it for about 2 weeks. Mine is a Armalite super sass. It has the forward assist and the case deflector. being a lefty I like this idea.
Armalite garantee says moa I hope it will do alot better. I don't know if it will run with a top end bolt gun but it should do well if I do my part
I'm going to start with match ammo now and soon will be working on a pet hand load.
I did not pay retail for this rifle. I had a trade in and I feel I was given a great deal.
14 years 3 months ago #2943

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!