Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Range day with my AR10 "SASS Surplus" Carbine

• Thank you received: 12

Range day with my AR10 "SASS Surplus" Carbine was created by crux

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

My AR10 16" "SASS Surplus" Free Float quad Stainless Steel barrel Carbine again with the Eotech 552 and Australian Surplus ammo. It was one of the 16" SASS prototypes Armalite surplussed after the M110 competition, without the adjustable gas system. Seen here on the bench ready for dial-in at 200yards.

This is the sight picture through the EOtech at 200 yards. It actually looks better in person than through the Droid phone's camera. This is pushing the limit of this optic in my opinion (or at least the operator's eyesight). You can just barely make out the reticule and target at the bottom left of the window. I plan to get a Trijicon ACOG on this rifle at some future unspecified date when funding matches cost.

Here's the results at 200 yards. (In the black only, the orange dots/shots is from someone's recycled target paper) Even in a rest stand I can manage to send a few wingers. Totally operator's fault. When I actually relax the rifle is a tack driver.

Beware Venomous Critters. Nuff said.

Since I had the sight where I wanted it at 200 yards I decided to bring it in to 25 yards in a standing position as I would be in a match. The bottom five are with the EOTech\'s Reticule right in the center (plus my caffeinated hands in the wind). By going for roughly the area between the top of the circle and the bulls-eye, was able to get the remainder of the shots. All of them perfectly acceptable for the matches I shoot.

Bottom line, the rifle is ready to go out to from 0 to 200+, now it's just up to the operator to bring out it's potential.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by crux.
14 years 2 months ago #3154

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Range day with my AR10 "SASS Surplus" Carbine

Crux in SEAR school they put us is the snake tank and forgot to feed us for a while. My belly got the best of me , I got in alot of crap for cooking the crawing meals. They wasn't as good as MREs but I ate well. Thay was a pissed off bunch running the school. Salt and pepper wouldn't make a Fer-deLance tast good, that is a souped up cotten mouth from lower Mexico on south. They cuss me to this day for that. The Col. said I ate $15000 worth of their pets. I replied that if those crawling MREs cost $15000 that he was overseeer of finace and budget at Camp McCall mabe we should pass this issue up to a court if inquire. I was thrown out of the office reassigned to opperations in ElSalvador. That was another shooting war that didn't make the news like it should. The press was trying to hang Col North for taking care of business. We run out M-40s against the HK 91s with great success. I will say those HKs would work when the AKs quit.MSH
14 years 2 months ago #3163

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Range day with my AR10 "SASS Surplus" Carbine

On the venomous critters, well that is why I always carry a side arm, whether it be the .22 or the .45, if I hear or see it, it's toast... :lol:
I was checking out the pictures earlier in the gallery, you need to get a LaRue flip out mount with a magnifier, I don't know how you could see the target at 200, must be those younger eyes.... :lol: wouldn't you agree MSH......
Nice shooting my friend... B)
BMS

Oh I almost for got..........SWEET SHOOTING RANGE.....wish I had something like that around here...
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 2 months ago #3173

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Range day with my AR10 "SASS Surplus" Carbine

Actually they aren't so bad, just never put your hand somewhere you can't see. I thought about getting a flip magnifier but decided an acog is probably the best tool for getting the best near/mid range capability out of it.
14 years 2 months ago #3176

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Range day with my AR10 "SASS Surplus" Carbine

Yeah the Acog would be the best choice for it, but remember to put it on a LaRue Mount...... ;)

stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=27

or the single throw lever...it's new.

stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=244

Look forward to seeing it mount up.
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 2 months ago #3177

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!