Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Building AR-10 Hunting/Battle Rifle -- first-timer

• Thank you received: 0

Building AR-10 Hunting/Battle Rifle -- first-timer was created by lickfrog

First off, I'm really new to the subject in general. I've been doing a lot of research and have learn a lot about the basic parts and how they work but have never even had a change to hold an AR type rifle let a lone fire one, so my knowledge of the subject is rather pathetic at best. I'd like to build one mostly for the fun of learning and the pride that comes from knowing I can!

The primary use of this rifle will be for hunting so I'd like to be able to take full advantage of the long range ballistics of the 7.62/.308 rounds. Accuracy is also a concern. Price is not as much a concern since I'll be buy parts as I go but would like to keep cost to mini. (thinking $1500-$2500 or better?!)

My main point in posting is because, like i said, I know the basics and don't want to missing anything important. I've looked a lot at RRA, CMMG, and DMPS but don't know what other brands to look at. Any suggestions or best practice advice would be great. Thanks!

1) Is 7.62 or .308 better and can they (realistically) both be used through the same rifle?

2) Chrome Lined... what would be the best choice for hunting and still be good for battle/duty use?

3) Carbine or Piston... (never had to clean one so don't really know if its really an issue) thoughts?

4) Recommended parts and pricing?

5) Are there any lefties?

6) Is it better to buy complete upper or lower or build?
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by lickfrog.
13 years 11 months ago #4264

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Building AR-10 Hunting/Battle Rifle -- first-timer

Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by a Guest.
13 years 11 months ago #4265

Replied by lickfrog on topic Re:Building AR-10 Hunting/Battle Rifle -- first-timer

Thanks for the advice! But I'm not completely new to shooting, just this particular model/type of rifle. And like I said, I know the basics, I just wanted to get the expert opinion of those on this forum.

I agree with you 100% when comes to shoot before you buy and I plan to... my brother is a Staff Sargent and has come to love both his DPMS AR-15 and RRA AR-10 model rifles. Hence my interest in both brands.

Despite my inexperience with these rifles, I doubt anything you may say will sway me from building it myself since this is my primary interest for buying.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by lickfrog.
13 years 11 months ago #4267

Replied by Hebs on topic Re:Building AR-10 Hunting/Battle Rifle -- first-timer

So, my current AR10 is a bushy chrome lined 16" barrel. While the SS barrel might be more accurate, you can look through a few of my posts and easily find my shot group with it and see that less than a half inch group at 100yds is easily possible. I'm going to take it out again this weekend and test out my new brass catcher. (3bucc)

As for your build, keep in mind that the AR10 platform is not as standard as the AR15. You should try to stick with sister companies parts and even then they might not always match up. DPMS, Remington, bushmaster, cobb all use the same parts.
13 years 11 months ago #4272

Replied by dpmsfulton on topic Re:Building AR-10 Hunting/Battle Rifle -- first-timer

Lickfrog, if you are like me, when you set your mind to something, you'll do it no matter what. BUT, if you are wise, you will listen to MSH. You may not be new to shooting, or even building bolt guns, but you are new to building a gas gun apparently. It's like the difference between propeller planes and jet planes. VERY diffent. Both fly, (shoot)but the science is very different. From your post, (and I mean no disrespect) you seem to have some basic concepts confused and you will save yourself time, money and frustration if you buy a completed good gun first, shoot it and learn it, read this site alot, and then start learning how to improve your gun. I jumped in early and bought a fancy gun and spent money I didn't need to, and now after reading and learning from this site, I will go back and make changes to that gun I could have started out with from the get go with. Lots of money wasted. When MSH gives you advice, he only skims the surface because (I assume) he doesn't want nor should take the time to write a treatise on each question. But he could. There seems to be no end to the different levels of degree each question can be answered, and each answer can bring up a whole new level of complexity and related topics. Read the thread relating to strength of aluminum and you will see what I mean. I think, based on my experience, you will have more fun and fulfillment buying a completed gun and shooting it alot and then slowly delving into changing it up to improve it.

Regardless, again I mean no disrespect. Just my 2 cents. There is no end to the amount of info you can learn from this site, but in the end, it's all about enjoying and using your gun the way it's likely to be used 99% of the time.

Enjoy and welcome.
13 years 11 months ago #4278

Replied by azshoter on topic Re:Building AR-10 Hunting/Battle Rifle -- first-timer

Hebs, how to you like your brass catcher (3bucs). I use a "Catch Your Brass" brass catcher (www.catchyourbrass.com) and I love mine.

azshoter
13 years 8 months ago #5256

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!