Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Stupid Question Sighting In My LR308

• Thank you received: 0

Stupid Question Sighting In My LR308 was created by TheBear

I put a Vortex 6-20X50 mil dot scope on my LR308.
I'm shooting 150 grain MagTech.
Yesterday at the range I sighted a little high, approx. 1&1/2 inch above center at 100 yds.
Then at the 300 yard range it was shooting high by about 5-6 mil marks on the target..

Here's where my confusion set in.
I decided to use different mil dots to see where the bullet hit.
When I set the 4th. mil dot up, above the center of the cross hairs, the bullet hit dead center.
I thought, ok, I need to raise the hairs about 4 clicks.
No good, it would hit high, so I lowered back to the 100 yd. point and then lowered the CH 4 clicks.
No good again.

I was constantly high and low, still at approx. 4-5 mil lines on the target,or more.
I continued doing this and the only way I could hit center was by aiming the 4th. mil dot at center and it was dead on.

What the hell am I doing wrong?
I started getting frustrated and quit.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and what I need to do to get this thing to POA?

It has been quite a while since I've used a mil dot scope.
I can still use it to judge distance, but this sighting in just got me compoletely frustrated.

I'm kind of embarrased, after shooting for so long, but have to ask for some tips
13 years 6 months ago #5714

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Stupid Question Sighting In My LR308

I relayed your post to a friend...he is a Pro...so I know he would have some idea....see what comes back...if no one come in first...
Personally I think it is the ammo...but hey I am no pro....never used the mega tech...so, but that is what it sounds like to me or you where turning the dials the wrong way...hey...I have done it...when POed.....LOL :laugh: :laugh:
The manual says 168....is optimum....try some hornady.....168 match...and see what happens...when I shoot 150 it seems to do weird things too...on accuracy that is....but they all hit the target...
Will post up when I hear......

BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 6 months ago #5723

Well this is what my friend had to say.....hope it helps...

most likely he doesn't have the scope on the power setting to mill with and its misleading all readings.

and that would make sense....if you have it on the wrong power setting you will be off on the adjustments...Done that one too... :laugh:
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 6 months ago #5729

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Stupid Question Sighting In My LR308

First off, get 'clicks' out of your vocabulary when talking about using mil's. There is no such thing as a click.

I know that your reticle is a mil-dot, but what are your turrets set for? Are they 1/4 moa increments, 1/2 moa, 1/8 moa 1 moa, or are they .1 mils, .5 mils, etc?

Next, is your reticle on the First focal plane or second focal plane. If it's on the first focal plane, it will change size as you increase and/or decrease the power. If on the second focal plane, it will remain the same size.

If on the second focal plane, you need to know what power setting your scope needs to be on in order to range and/or measure correctly using the mil-dots.

All of this is important, because it will determine how much you need to dial in. You stated that when you used the 4th mil-dot, your shots were centered on the target. Well, if your turrets are 1/4 moa, then you need to dial in a lot more than 4 "clicks". Each mil-dot equates to 3.438 minute of angle (MOA), but we'll just round up to 3.5 to make it easy. So, if you were using your 4th mil-dot, that equates to 14 MOA. If your scope has 1/4 moa turrets, then you just dialed in 1 moa. You still need 13 more moa to get the cross hairs to the poa. (or 52 more "clicks")
13 years 6 months ago #5733

I knew it..... B)
Edge to the rescue.... :woohoo:
You the Man..... ;)
Way to go....
BMS

13 years 6 months ago #5737

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Stupid Question Sighting In My LR308

I respectfully disagree with the "build it yourself" option for the OP. For someone new to the platform, all the part choices and options can be a bit dizzying and confusing. Having little experience with ARs, a new owner runs a higher risk of purchasing inferior parts. Also, if the assembled gun doesn't perform to spec the OP has no recourse, ie: a manufacturer's warranty, to fall back on.

For a new AR shooter, I would say figure out what you want to use the rifle for. Determine the best caliber for the task(s), figure out what barrel length would work best, and what features you require. Then purchase the rifle from a reputable maker. Once you get some experience with the AR, you can start modifying the rifle with different calibers, barrel lengths, forends, and stocks, et al.

Good luck! And happy shooting.
RLTW
12 years 8 months ago #8653

Odd that the above post went into the wrong thread. Mods, please delete this post.
RLTW
12 years 8 months ago #8654

I respectfully disagree with the "build it yourself" option for the OP. For someone new to the platform, all the part choices and options can be a bit dizzying and confusing. Having little experience with ARs, a new owner runs a higher risk of purchasing inferior parts IOT "save a buck or two." Also, if the assembled gun doesn't perform to spec the OP has no recourse, ie: a manufacturer's warranty, to fall back on.

For a new AR shooter, I would say figure out what you want to use the rifle for. Determine the best caliber for the task(s), figure out what barrel length would work best, and what features you require. Then purchase the rifle from a reputable maker. Once you get some experience with the AR, you can start modifying the rifle with different calibers, barrel lengths, forends, and stocks, et al.

Good luck! And happy shooting.
RLTW
12 years 8 months ago #8655

Replied by TrapperJohn on topic Re: Stupid Question Sighting In My LR308

Yes you could. But sometimes you can have a problem mating the two. With one of my rifle's I bought a LMT MRP upper and a LMT lower to go with it but the two did not fit correctly and I had to take sand paper to the lower and shave off a little for them to fit. Even today it is still a little tight but the fit is nice. With any build that I did usually the upper and lower were a little loose but after that LMT experience I decided I would go with a upper and lower that were made to fit together like the SunDevil I told you about.

Spikes also sells a upper and lower that are mated together.

www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spikes-tact...lower-set-p-377.html

I am not trying to talk you out of this I just want to let you know what you might be in for. Many do not have the problems that I came across.
12 years 8 months ago #8658

Replied by TrapperJohn on topic Re: Stupid Question Sighting In My LR308

Wow this went to the wrong thread. Please delete the above post.

Wierd
12 years 8 months ago #8659

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!