Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ar10T carbine

• Thank you received: 67

ar10T carbine was created by foxhunter

So I took out my new AR10T Carbine, after mounting a 3.5-10 x leupold vx3 on it with Larue detachable mounts .
Fired 40 rds of cheap Remington ammo through it(168gr) and worked my way out to 200 yds. Pretty consistant 1.5 to 2 moa 5 shot groups while sitting on my atv with the front of the gun resting on a box.
No misfires.
Then I switched to handloaded 168 gr Hornady Amax moly.
The gun would load the ammo from the clip, but It would misfire, then it was extremely difficult to get the charging handle to pull the bullet out as it appeared to be jammed. I had to bang on the charging handle to get it to break free. WHY IS THAT? However, if I put the bullets in one at a time without the clip in, no problem. fired and ejected each bullet normally. I then noticed the charging handle was not going all the way forward and locking into place when used with the clip in. It looked all the way forward but it wasn't. The firing pin then did not appear to make contact with the bullet and the charging handle became jammed in place until I beat on it.
FYI,I did not follow the recommended break-in. fired all rounds without cleaning.
So I took the gun in and cleaned it and will try again this week

Of note was that the hand loaded ammo was consistent 1 to 1.5 moa
but I had to adjust the verticle on the scope for the hand loads as they dropped 2 in at 200 yds, more than the remington ammo.
one group was 1.5 in at 200 yds. used 41.2 gr imr 4895 which is near max recommended load.
13 years 6 months ago #5885

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:ar10T carbine

How are you using clips in an AR-10? You should try some of those magazines that they make for the AR-10, they work so much better. :P :unsure: (ok, SA mode off)

Now to your problem. It sounds like your reloads are the problem, especially if factory ammo is working fine. What is your OAL of your reloads? Did you full length resize your brass? (you need to full length resize for use in a semi-auto).

You don't need to do a "break-in" of the barrel. The barrels have already been lapped and test fired, especially if this is a "T" model.
13 years 6 months ago #5898

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:ar10T carbine

clip/ magazine. oh well. I do the full length resize and have fired some of this batch through my ar10T rifle in the past with no problems. Now that everything is cleaned and oiled I hope to get some shooting time in today and see what happens
13 years 6 months ago #5901

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:ar10T carbine

Where I am no expert, I would have to back up Edge on the ammo as the first cause...might have a real dirty chamber as well....
I would also say take your bolt apart and check the extractor parts...might be something clogged up it there...
reading back on your post Fox.....Remington Core Lock I take it...Yep....Take the bolt apart.....I get alot of brass shavings of Remington ammo.....Just my .25 my friend....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 6 months ago #5906

BMS,
yeah, you are probably right. I will take the bolt apart and clean before shooting again. had hoped to shoot on my afternoon off yesterday, but the wife had already planned out my time for honey-do's that took till well after dark. Hopefully will get t o shoot tomorrow.
13 years 6 months ago #5911

Hey my friend...I know how those "Lists" can go.... :dry:
I get one every so often....but it keeps them happy, so what the heck, and it is stuff I usually have neglected....To do... :laugh:
Back on target...even reloading the Remington brass I have had issues...the next time I reload them it will be the last....Try the Federal Power Shock...150gr for cheap plinking...Check Wally world.
about 15 for a box...I stay away from Winchester as well...Hey here is something I will throw out there...Some one told me that Win..Makes the hornady brass...anyone know about this....
Hope what I said is the issue...do a "REALLY" good clean job on it and hopefully it straightens out...
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 6 months ago #5912

bms
Well after nothing more than a thorough cleaning, fired 60 rds of various reloaded ammo with no issues.
can't explaine one thing though. Fired reloads with either 168 gr Hornady amax or 168 grain Hornady amax moly coated.
some had been loaded with Imr 4895, 41.2gr and some with varget at 42.2gr.
at 200 yds, the hornady amax was zeroed. The zero held whether I shot the varget or the imr 4895 at those loads.
The moly coated ammo dropped 2 inches at 200 yds. That's weird
13 years 6 months ago #5945

Fox...glad to hear all is operational...I thought a thorough cleaning might clear it up....
as for the bullet thing....hhhmmmmm :huh:
Not sure why that would be....maybe to much drag on the molly....Edge probably could shed some light on that one...but never the less....Yeah...weird.
BMS

13 years 5 months ago #5966

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by schollmeyer on topic Re:ar10T carbine

For general shooting I picked up a couple thousand rounds of circa 1967 Greek Military Surplus Ammo. This ammo had the added benefit of being boxer primed ~ retrieved some of the brass and keep that for reloading Hunting & Target / Match loads. I have not noticed the 2
13 years 4 months ago #6307

A difference in muzzle velocity or a difference in friction I assume would be the most likely causes. Unfortunately I don't have the the equipment to measure muzzle velocity. I am assuming velocity would be nearly identical given the same bullet wt and powder load, but you could be right.
Guess that's one more piece of equipment I need to pick up.
13 years 4 months ago #6312

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!