Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Machining an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging

• Thank you received: 0

Machining an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging was created by Johnny_V

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone from this forum has ever machined an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging? I recently finished an AR-15 from a 0% forging and it turned out rather nice and would like to do the same with an AR-10. I procured a forging from 7.62SASS.com , have all the machinery needed to do the required operations, but would like to get some input from someone who has actually completed one from a 0%er.

Any help would be appreciated.....

Later
Johnny_V
NRA Life Member 1976
13 years 5 months ago #6142

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by maddyn on topic Re:Machining an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging

pretty much the same as the 15, just make sure you have a good print, (I think I got mine off the armalite site, or CNC guns) Let us know how it turns out. I'm working on an 80% billet 10 right now and just using a writeup for the 15, but changing a few things from how Armalite does them, like the bolt catch pin, and the rear takedown detent
13 years 5 months ago #6167

Replied by hopps on topic Re:Machining an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging

I have not done a 0% '10

but you can use ray-vins guide for a 0-100% ar15 and just change dimensions based on the '10 blueprints. Also note the difference in location of the rear takedown pin detent... Keep in mind your magwell has a 3 degree cant to it as well.
www.ray-vin.com/frtech.htm
13 years 4 months ago #6239

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Machining an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging

Check out Canadiangunnutz.com

One of the CGN members, Dogzilla, built a complete AR 10 lower from a block of aluminum. He used a Canadian Forces issue / surplus AR 10 upper and barrel to complete the build.

That Dogzilla is some ambitious dude ... he also is working on an AR 180 lower and a few other Black rifle type projects.
13 years 2 months ago #6727

Replied by goober on topic Re: Machining an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging

this is from a 10%, not 0%, and the issues w/ the jig are moot now that CNC Gunsmithing sells an an actual AR-10 jig, but here you go:

Finishing a CNC-10 on a modified CNC jig
12 years 10 months ago #8081

Replied by Johnny_V on topic Re: Machining an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging

Hi Goober,

I also am on the CNC forum, but was looking for some guidance on starting with a raw forging...

Johnny V
NRA Life Member 1976
12 years 10 months ago #8085

Replied by goober on topic Re: Machining an AR-10 lower from a 0% forging

well so you are! sorry, i didn't recognize you, and just stumbled across this here.

apologies for pointing you at something you've already seen, and not quite what you were looking for, to boot.
my best suggestion (as others advised) is that you adapt the Ray-Vin and 5-Bears methods that are specifically 0%-(but Ar-15)-centric in order to get the raw forging outer dims to spec, and then it'll be easy from there....
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by goober. Reason: double-post...ooops
12 years 10 months ago #8088

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!