Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Comparing internal vs external piston drive system

• Thank you received: 11

Comparing internal vs external piston drive system was created by Uncle ArmaLite

Comparing internal vs external piston drive systems:
Tech. Note 54
Uncle ArmaLite
13 years 4 months ago #6302

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Comparing internal vs external piston drive system

Thanks for sharing that Tech Note. I've always enjoyed reading Armalite's Tech Notes! They are always full of great information.

When the big "piston craze" started a while back, I was hesitant to jump on the band wagon. The reason being was I've never really had a problem with any of my AR's. I remember a few years back I was at a competition in the middle of summer and the pits where we were shooting had that fine "baby powder" type dust everywhere. My AR rifle sat in a rifle rack along with others, which included some really nice AK rifles. These AK's were the milled receiver types, not the stamped, and were very nice AK's. The guys shooting them had always espoused how great and reliable the AK's are. (which in some cases may be true) As the rifle sat there, the wind picked up and blew that fine powdery dust all over the rifles. My black rifle litterally looked tan when the time for shooting came. I was a bit worried about it, because it was everywhere! My bolt and inside the barrel were filled with the stuff too!

As I ran through the course of fire, I didn't have a single issue. It was interesting to watch the guys with AK's though. They had issue after issue with their rifles.

It was then and there that I made up my mind that Stoner had it right!

I do wonder about the new FN SCARs and how they will pan out. I suspect that we'll know in another year or so as they start to see more action in the theater.
13 years 4 months ago #6303

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Hot Lead Zapper on topic Re:Comparing internal vs external piston drive system

SOCOM Cancels FN Mk-16 SCAR-L (SCAR-Light) 5.56mm NATO Rifle/Carbine/SBR Weapons Program. Will the FN Mk-17 SCAR-H (SCAR-Heavy) 7.62mm NATO Variant Survive?

With the newfound success of the KAC SR25, AR10, and M14s w/modern accessories I doubt the Mk17 will succeed on a large scale. The FN Mk16 doesn
13 years 4 months ago #6336

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!