Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR10TBNF Not Grouping

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Howard Roquet on topic Re:Armalite AR10TBNF Not Grouping

Rifle returned to local dealer for full refund. Now looking at Springfield Match M1A. Really disappointed in the AR10TBNF with regard "not grouping", even after being sent back to Armalite for repair. Loved the looks, feel and especially the trigger. All the research I had done on the Armalite indicated a superb "tack driver". Guess I got a bad one.

Howard
13 years 1 month ago #7100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re:Armalite AR10TBNF Not Grouping

Howard,

Did you purchase another AR-10 or just stick with the M1A?

Jer
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by JustMe.
12 years 10 months ago #8102

Jer - I did not purchase the Springfield, basically because I am shooting quite a bit with my Garand (H&R) which I am now putting NM sights on next week. However, I still loved the feel of the AR10 and it shot superbly shooting one round at a time without the magazine. After receiving it back from Armalite and experiencing the same issue (not grouping within 1" when fed with the mag), I was just too frustrated at that point, especially having spent, literally, about $400 in ammo. I loved shooting it, loved the barrel and trigger, but not the poor results using the magazines. I did buy a Rem 700 308 Varmint with 26" stainless fluted barrel; same hole at 100 yards. Put a group at 400 yards with 5 shots touching. That's what I was looking for with the AR10TBNF. I would still like to have an AR 308, but not sure what I would get.

Thanks for checking in with me, Jer, appreciate it. Good shoting to you!

Howard
12 years 10 months ago #8103

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re: Armalite AR10TBNF Not Grouping

You might want to try the moly coated Winchester Ballistic Silvertips 168gr. (Nosler Ballistic Tip moly-coated) They are very expensive compared to what they were a few years ago but I've had amazing luck with them. All other factory ammo I tried including Black Hills did not shoot anywhere near as good. I also like the higher pitch louder sound they make.

I have never stretched it's legs at 400 yards but I have had consistent 5-shot groups that can be covered with a nickle at 200 yards.

I always have about 10 boxes of the stuff sitting on my shelf.

For at least the past 200 rounds my rifle has not seen anything but this.

P.S. You also don't experience copper fouling. Don't tell anyone but I used to clean after every shot through about 200 rounds. Then at least every 5 shots through about 400 rounds. Now I just run one wet patch through the barrel and a few dry ones on a jag or wrapped around a brush and it is clean. Only burned powder to deal with.
12 years 10 months ago #8104

Howard,
That's some fine shooting. I also strive to have all rounds touching, especially at 100 yards. Being able to do that at 400 yards is awesome. How many rounds were in that group to have 5 touching? So far, the best I've been able to get is 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with reloads. I guess we can never be satisfied until they all go into the same hole.

mlotsiii,
I'll have to give those Winchester Ballistic Silvertips 168gr a try. Aren't you shooting a 1:10 twist though. Mine is a 1:11.25 twist so I probably won't get your results.

Jer
12 years 10 months ago #8123

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Armalite AR10TBNF Not Grouping

i have had the same experience with those ballistic silver tips!!! they are awesome...i have the 1:11.25 twist.
12 years 10 months ago #8155

Thanks donkey1984. I'll definetly have to try them. Jer
12 years 10 months ago #8156

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Armalite AR10TBNF Not Grouping

I am just curious....I know Howard returned his rifle...but How did he "Break In" the barrel...
My AR-10 A4 CB was done just as stated by the manual for a "Match" barrel..
In a Bench Rest....I can pop the center on multiple targets, basically Zero MOA..as for Grouping...I have managed about .5 to .75 three shot groups.....again out of a bench rest vice....applying the Human Factory..being me...Well it gets worse, but it is not the gun...it's the shooter... :blink: :whistle: :pinch:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 9 months ago #8188

The "problem" I had with the 308 AR10TBNF was that it would not group (1" or less) when the rounds were fed from the magazine. When feeding single rounds without the magazine, the groups were always 1/2" or less (5 rounds) at 100 yards. After it went back to the factory gunsmiths for work, it was returned with the same issue.

As to breaking it in initially, I followed the instruction manual exactly. I used high end factory ammo as well as reloads. I reload for all my rifles, AR15, Garand, Rem 700 308, Savage bolt 308, etc, etc. No problems at all. I bought my Rem 700 VSF 308 after returning the Armalite AR10. I consistently shoot 1/2" or less at 100 yards and shot a group of 5 rounds touching at 400 yards (about 1" wide). Ammo I'm using are all reloads. The best recipe I have hit upon is H4895- 42.0 grains and Sierra MK 168 BTHP's. C.O.L. 2.80.

I would still like to have an AR10 in 308, but I don't want to go through the same frustrating exercise. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the comments.
12 years 9 months ago #8204

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!