Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Advice On FIrst AR10

• Thank you received: 0

Advice On FIrst AR10 was created by mr_hurricane

Hello All,

I was thinking about getting my first AR10 and thought I might ask some advice here...

I was leaning towards this one but was surprised not to see it have a forum here?

www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2011-cu...ecision-gap-10-.html

-thanks
13 years 3 months ago #6491

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Advice On FIrst AR10

Welcome to the forum Mr. Hurricane!

I too have been looking at this new offering from GA Precision. Up until this year, GAP has mainly offered "AR-10" type rifles as mainly custom built rifles, built from Armalite or DPMS lowers for the most part, hence there wasn't a forum for them. This year is the first year that they've offered up a semi-auto rifle that is distinkedly theirs. So we may need to look into adding a forum for them.

I have a bolt gun build by GA Precision and I can tell you it is awesome! They do extremely great work! I'm definately looking forward to hearing more about their GAP-10. I watched the videos and have been reading about the new GAP-10 since SHOT Show. I'm really exited about it because I know nothing leaves their shop that doesn't shoot good.

What caliber were you looking at getting? I'm thinking about getting one in .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I was leaning to the Creedmoor, but Lapua just announced that they'll start making .260 brass this year. So now I think I'm leaning back to the .260.

I already have a .308, so I'm covered with that caliber.
13 years 3 months ago #6493

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Advice On FIrst AR10

Welcome to the group!!! if you have any questions just ask away.
13 years 3 months ago #6527

Replied by H_D98 on topic Re:Advice On FIrst AR10

Along the same lines as the original post... I'm looking to build my first AR-10 as a tactical piece... 16-18" barrel. Always been into bolt guns, and have a good long range .308 rifle, but would like to build this ar for a change to compliment my bolt gun.

This is a totally different realm for me, so any, and all vise will be appreciated. Guess we'll start with the base and go from there... Lowers? Trigger groups? 6 position stock? Thanks!
13 years 3 months ago #6577

Replied by Kentfjr on topic Re:Advice On FIrst AR10

Welcome, I have a RRA LAR-8 26" Varmit rifle. It was less than $1500 dollars through a FFL friend. Great trigger and very accurate, added Nikon scope. Then picked up FN Scar 17 (heavy) and still looking for an optic. Scar is making accurate hits over 700 yards in the field. The price is about the same as the custom ($2700)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

13 years 3 months ago #6585

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by mr_hurricane on topic Re:Advice On FIrst AR10

An LAR8 isnt, or rather wasn't in consideration and this is why...

I guess you could class semi auto 308's into two classes, ones that are built primarily as battle rifles and ones that are built for accuracy ( as much as can be obtained from a semi auto)

The LAR8 falls into the first category as does the scar, and I was looking for more precision, but also on the GAP rifles you get a sturdy tank of a rifle so I see it as the best of both worlds compromising no where.

And from the reviews of the GAP 10 i have read.. so do people with way more experience then me...

as far as the Scar goes ... its sub par, and operators starting switching back to other rifles over a year ago.

FN, like HK is just a bunch of hype, dont get me wrong still good guns, I have scars in my collection, but just for safe queens.

Also might note here that FN used to make the sniper rifle for the FBI HRT team, and GA Precision took that contract away from them this year with a far superior rifle.

www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2011-cu...n-fbi-hrt-rifle.html

Also, the scar has a chrome lined barrel which means less accruacy right off the bat, more longevity... less maint, but less accuracy and thats fact.

anywa thanks for the advice here but I went with the GAP 10, with a schmidt and bender scope.

nikon....? didn't they get bought by tasco?

-thanks all.
13 years 3 months ago #6588

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!