Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Upgrading M14 mags..........

• Thank you received: 1

Upgrading M14 mags.......... was created by Maximus

Anybody upgrade M14 mags to AR-10 specs? How do they work? Do they still work in a M1A/M14? :woohoo:
13 years 2 months ago #6743

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

That's something I'd like to know too. I saw a whole bunch of (supposedly) original (I didn't check the codes) M-14 mags at the gun show last weekend. They were a lot cheaper than new 20rd Armalite mags.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
13 years 2 months ago #6745

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

Maximus wrote:I've heard of folks cutting off the locking tab and cutting a hole in the body of the mag to line up with the mag catch of an AR10. As for using the mag in an M14/M1A, I imagine that it would still work, but the shooter would have to physically hold the mag in place, since the locking tab would no longer be there.
RLTW
13 years 2 months ago #6752

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

M-14 Mag conversion is not worth the time and effort in my book - even the Armalte made gen one magazines from the AWB days are not as good as current production gen 2 Armalite mags.

When the AWB expired and Armalite released the Gen 2 mags, I sold all my old ones and bought current production gen 2 mags. I prefer fewer mags that work well.

Quote from Armalite website about the older M-14 converted mags compared to current production mags:

"New and Improved! ArmaLite's new GEN II AR-10 20 round magazine, not possible until the end of the 1994 ban, is dramatically smoother than the previous converted M14 magazines we were forced to sell."

Just buy a 5 pack of AR-10 Gen 2 magazines from Armalite for $150 and be done with it.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by silver78.
13 years 2 months ago #6793

Replied by Maximus on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

Just ordered 5 extra mags. :S
13 years 2 months ago #6804

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

I did the same. Forgive the pun, but sometimes ya gotta bite the bullet and do it.
RLTW
13 years 2 months ago #6805

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by huntenthusiast on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

I found three ten round, already converted mags on GB for a good price. The reason being was only one was usable but later on found genuine NOS Armalite kits so they got a rebuild. They seem secure in the magwell alright but I haven't shot with them yet as I'm just finishing building my first AR10. Hopefully I can get a few pics up soon.
13 years 2 months ago #6809

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

silver78 wrote:
That's the info I was looking for!

Charlie (is gonna spring for a 5-pack too)
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
13 years 2 months ago #6821

Replied by Maximus on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

Got my 5 new mags this morning. Now I am confused. What I thought were Gen 1 mags seem to be Gen 2 mags. The new mags have a black follower with a sheet metal dent at the rear that slides in a channel on the rear of the mag. Is that the way Gen 2's are?
13 years 2 months ago #6879

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by mrfixit on topic Re:Upgrading M14 mags..........

:laugh: I'm obviously not as rich as some of you guys-so I've had to be creative and purchase the cheaper milspec m14 mags and spend a little time with a dremel tool and caliper to make some of the converted AR10 mags.Yes they even work,and there is no reson they can't be reused in an m-14 either.Now-do they run as well as armalites gen 2 mags?I don't know-cause I'm not rich!;)
13 years 2 months ago #6880

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!