Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise?

• Thank you received: 0

Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise? was created by medic_ar10T

Hello all! I am a new member here, so hopefully I have not screwed up by posting under the wrong category! Anyway, I am looking for some solid advise (not so much opinions) based on your past experience with these rifles. A quick background on me... Right handed shooter, heavy build (more time walking, less time on-line required, lol), not an expert shot... but have been actively shooting various types of rifles for many years. My goal is to use this rifle for longer range target shooting (200+ yards) and occasional large game hunting... Currently based on various reviews I have narrowed down my search to an Armalite AR-10T in .308, but my mind is open to other options and manufactures... the .308 (or NATO 7.62x51) is the preferred round. There is a large gunshow coming up this weekend, looking to drop around 2K on something... in the same breath I don't want to drop that much on something that turns out to be a train wreck! I'll end up scoping it up with an inexpensive scope to start with; will upgrade after recovering from the purchase. Also... Sadly I live in Upstate New York, so we have some added restrictions to keep in mind. Thanks in advance for your meaningful advise!
13 years 1 month ago #7235

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Uncle ArmaLite on topic Re: Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise?

This AR-10(T) is compliant to New York state's laws:
AR10(T)NF
Uncle ArmaLite
13 years 1 month ago #7245

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise?

As I own the Armalite AR-10 Carbine, I don't think you could go wrong with that choice, I have no regrets in my purchase, and for the $ you have, could also scope it up pretty nice!:woohoo:
AKAI
13 years 1 month ago #7248

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re: Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise?

Uncle A has offered a good option. Of course he's a bit biased :)

One other option you might consider is the Rock River LAR-8
www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...play&category_id=257

My ARs are either Armalite or RRA and I think both companies offer good product. The advantage that Armalite has over RRA is the number of years they have been in the market with a 308 product. So they have had more time to tweak the bolt design for example.

If you are at a gun show you might just want to handle both and buy what you prefer.

Sorry you live in NY since for both models the best mags are post ban factory mags which means the best 20 rounders are not available to you.

Edited to add - I know I will get grief for this - but don't buy an 308 AR with a barrel less than 20 inches. The 308 platform is a big gun and it works best with the longer barrels.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by silver78. Reason: More Info
13 years 1 month ago #7250

Replied by medic_ar10T on topic Re: Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise?

Great, that was an important point I was looking at... I have been having some difficulty sorting through the various laws in NYS; I would assume somebody that has an FFL would sell a "legal" rifle, but stranger things happen. This link will help guide me further, many thanks!
13 years 1 month ago #7254

Replied by medic_ar10T on topic Re: Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise?

It is great to hear you are pleased with this rifle. The feedback on-line seems to waver a lot, many of the negative opinions seem to be more of a "I like this brand more than another". Having no regrets about a purchase is a more bullet-proof comment... (yeah, I went there! Lol) Thanks friend!
13 years 1 month ago #7255

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re: Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise?

I'm not going to give Silver grief regarding his comment on the 20 in barrel, but..
I have the 10T in 20 inch and also 16 in. Shooting 200+ yds, target or varmit hunting, the 20 inch is the way to go. But if you are hunting deer in upstate New York, the AR10T carbine 16 inch will be much easier to carry all day, with the same 1 moa guarantee in accuracy. So there, now you need both!
Getting the one perfect gun for long range target shooting and for hunting isn't going to happen. Choose the gun for what you are going to use it for the most, then live with the downside for the other.If you choose long barrel, live with more wt and difficulty handling in thick woods/brush. Choose the short barrel for lighter wt and better handling and lose the long barrel advantage for better long range ballistics and less recoil .
13 years 1 month ago #7256

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Getting ready to purchase my first ar-10; advise?

Another A4 Carbine owner here. Same as above - No regrets a'tall; buy with confidence.
RLTW
13 years 1 month ago #7259

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!