Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Varied ammo short stroke problem.

• Thank you received: 0

Varied ammo short stroke problem. was created by 701

With my 20"(Armalite)upper I would like to fire both M118LR or other HP ammo as well as SA Surplus Ammo. It short strokes by about an 1/8" (guesstimate) with the lower FPS loads. I guess I got spoiled with my FAL and the adjustable gas valve. I have a KX-3 I was going to put on it for the low end ammo, but I would prefer that it not get the the s--t kicked out of it with the M118LR and I don't want to re-jig the upper every time. Question: Does anybody know of an adjustable buffer ,other object, or mod that may assist me in achieving the ammo diversity I am trying to get from the AR-10 platform.

Thanks, and best regards,

Steve
13 years 3 weeks ago #7325

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by thinwater on topic Re: Varied ammo short stroke problem.

Ar 10's are trickier than an AR 15 to dial in. You could go through several springs and buffer weights before you get one that will work with the lighter loads. I put an AR 15 spring in one last month working on a similar issue and it pounded me hard when it bottomed out. I bumped up the gas port from .083" to .0935" 0n a 20" bbl and it runs anything now (With either an Armalite or DPMS AR 10 spring and DPMS rifle length AR 10 buffer). Recoil is a little more than it was with the heavy loads but it is the trade for perfect feeding.

Dont just mess with the gas port hole unless you know exactly why you are doing it.

You will have a costly club it you just drill without knowing the recomended size for your spring and buffer weights. They are easier and cheaper to mess with and can be changed back fast.
tacticalmachining.com
13 years 3 weeks ago #7336

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Varied ammo short stroke problem.

701....Topic moved as requested...
Thanks
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 3 weeks ago #7339

Replied by 701 on topic Re: Varied ammo short stroke problem.

Funny you should say that.....I was just starring into to my drill index. I was actually going to only oversize it to .089, try it and then go from there. What type of drill and speed did you use? Thanks for the info. Want to buy a nice parkerized club?
13 years 3 weeks ago #7340

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re: Varied ammo short stroke problem.

Well, if you over size it, PRI & JPI both make adjustable gas blocks.
Link
Last edit: 13 years 2 weeks ago by Scaup58.
13 years 2 weeks ago #7384

Replied by 701 on topic Re: Varied ammo short stroke problem.

Perfect. I think that is the ticket. I will do the minimum oversize and add the gas block. If I were a betting man, I'd bet you your right. I will pm you if it works.....a pm from my next of kin will be self evident of the outcome.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Steve
13 years 2 weeks ago #7386

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!