Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Failure to eject.

• Thank you received: 0

Failure to eject. was created by Ed Agle

I have an AR-10NM with a Krieger 1-11 barrel and an AR-10T. I'm having the same sort or trouble with both rifles. They fail to eject; the brass just ends up laying on top of the magazine at least 50% 0f the time. It didnt matter too much before, but now I want to shoot the NM at 1,000 yards and a functioning gun is required. Up until now I've used M1-As.
The buffer spring is new.
The bolt locks back even with a bolt weight.
The bolt is matched to the barrel.
The extractor, spring, buffer and o-ring are new.
Accuracy is not effected.
The only hint I have is that the problem does not start until the 5th to 10th round through a clean chamber.
I have tried brass from 4 different manufacturers, 3 kinds of powder, and two bullets, 175MK and 185VLD. The speed range has been from 2450 to 2625ft/sec.
I have varied headspace and freebore.
And Finally I,ve used several different magizines.
Do you have any suggestions. I'm totally stuck.
12 years 5 months ago #9289

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Failure to eject.

Has this been happening since day 1, or did it come on gradually?

Have you tried any factory ammo?

I had that problem when my 10A4BF was brand new, but mine was short-cycling (Remington 180gr CL-PSP was the only thing that would work). I gather that's not your issue.

Chamber a spent cartridge, cycle the action manually, and see what happens.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Charlie.
12 years 5 months ago #9290

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Ed Agle on topic Re: Failure to eject.

When I eject a loaded round manually it squirts out with good force, and in the proper direction. I have checked the inside of the upper to see if the non-ejecting rounds were hitting the inside of the upper, but there were no signs of impact and the brass was not marked or dented. By the way the non-ejecting brass does not have those signiture scratch marks on the neck. I have not tried commercial ammo. I have however fired close relatives, ie IMR 4895 41.5 and 42.0, both with the some result.
Thanks for responding.
12 years 5 months ago #9293

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Failure to eject.

By saying that the extractor, spring, buffer and o-ring are new, are you saying that you've recently replaced them? If that's the case, try going back to the original parts and see if the problem persists. From your description of the issue, my thinking is the extractor isn't gripping the case rim completely. If those are the original parts, try removing just the o-ring. I would also check the extractor groove and the ejector spring. Since the problem occurs 5-10 rounds into the string, perhaps the chamber is too tight and once a bit of fouling builds up it impedes extraction.

On the ammo side, are you using a full-length sizing die for your brass? If not, perhaps that's part of the issue since gas guns are a little harder on brass than a bolt gun. Try running some commercial ammo and see if the same problem arises.

HTH

Leb
RLTW
12 years 5 months ago #9322

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Failure to eject.

+1. Even if the problem remains negative data is still data. Eliminating one mode of failure will allow you to concentrate on the others.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 5 months ago #9323

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Failure to eject.

I had a similar issue with mine when it was new....sent it back to the home office, they completely redid the bolt and extractor...works great now...
I would say check you bolt and extractor...make sure there is no brass shavings in it....that could cause the issue....also..double check the spring on the extractor...is there a piece in the center of it....if not...that is your problem...
Honestly with out having the rifle in front of me...it is hard to diagnose...
Hope it helps..
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 5 months ago #9363

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Deenerman on topic Re: Failure to eject.

Hey AR-10 dudes out there.........I am new to this site.....looks like a great site to really get into "The Rifle"...... here goes. Guns are a hobby of mine...have been for many years....in saying that....this is my first "Black" assault style rifle. I have shot a buddy of mine's AR-15 many times....great gun! I bought my AR-10 five years ago.....flat top....20" barrel....match trigger. Great gun up until the past year. I am having a failure to eject problem big time! The rotary bolt will not properly eject the spent brass quick enough...next live round jams. I am just sick about this malfunction........I love this gun! I won't go into all my gun credentials...I will just say...I do have enough sense to properly "break-in" a firearm.... I am a 1911 pistol dude ...I know how to take them apart in my sleep....in saying that....when I first got my AR-10, I cleaned the bore, wiped down the bolt and went to town with about 100 rounds of factory .308....wow....what an experience!!! I think I may be part of the problem though....I did not properly take the gun apart and degrease everything...my bad. I have been reluctant to take the rotary bolt apart..... The gun is currently in the shop with a gunsmith buddy of mine and he is taking it down "all the way". Sorry for the long message...my question is this....are these guns that sensitive to needing through "cleaning" of the rotary bolt after each and every outing. My bad...if that is the case. Hopefully....my gunsmith buddy will get my "baby" back in working order. (He did tell me the ejector is okay...the bolt is just real dirty) This is a $1500 gun...I can not have this gun jamming. It cost me a second wild boar this year....after I popped the first piglet...the gun jammed...not good! Any expert comments out there in AR-10 land would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
12 years 4 months ago #9694

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Failure to eject.

All firearms need maintenance from time to time. With the AR10 (or any AR, for that matter) the bolt/bolt carrier need a generous coat of lube. And at a minimum clean the chamber, bolt face and extractor groove after every outing.
RLTW
12 years 4 months ago #9706

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!