Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Failure to eject.

• Thank you received: 1

Failure to eject. was created by Macs-impala-ss

Hello group. Yesterday i took my Ar 10 i built to the range. After 10 rounds and not one of the ejected. After getting home and cleaning the gun I notice the Bolt Carrier Key was loose. Everything else looked good. Just looking for any advise for any thing else i should check out. Thanks for any help you can give me.
12 years 4 months ago #9718

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Bob Downey on topic Re: Failure to eject.

Is it an Armalite?
Is it new or 2nd hand?
I'd like to hear more details.
Learn to do things for yourself. Its good for you and makes you a better American!
12 years 4 months ago #9727

Did some searching on the forum.
I think you built your piece yourself, am I correct?
Did you by the BCG as an assembly from the Mfg.?
Or did you build it up from a parts kit?
I'd also like to know brand.
Learn to do things for yourself. Its good for you and makes you a better American!
12 years 4 months ago #9728

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Failure to eject.

That's the source of your ejection problem, I'd wager. If the carrier key is loose, then the BCG isn't getting enough gas to unlock the bolt and cycle to the rear. The screws that hold the carrier key MUST be staked into position, IMO. If yours isn't I'd take it to a gunsmith to have it done, if you don't have the wherewithal to do it yourself.
RLTW
12 years 4 months ago #9729

Replied by Macs-impala-ss on topic Re: Failure to eject.

Yes i built it from a parts kit. Fulton armory lower, fultonarmory upper with the side charging handle, FA bolt, dpms 18 inch fluted barrel, dpms hand guard, and magpul stock.
12 years 4 months ago #9735

Replied by Macs-impala-ss on topic Re: Failure to eject.

@ LebbenB yes the two srews in the carrier was loose. I just wanted to know if there was anything else i should look for before taking it out again.
12 years 4 months ago #9736

Were you able to torque the barrel nut to Spec?
If not you may encounter some future problems with that.
Make sure that your gas tube doesn't rub when the key slide back over it.
12 years 4 months ago #9737

Replied by Deenerman on topic Re: Failure to eject.

Hey Bob......you gave me some good advice the other night regarding my AR-10. .......I just picked it up at the gun smith.....I was the guy that thought I screwed up and did not break the gun in properly....my gunsmith buddy thinks he has got my baby fixed....he did say I probably ran the gun too dry......the bolt and bolt carrier especially......he lubed them up.....he wants me to shoot the gun and report back.......he is a little concerned that the gaskets in the bolt head might need replacing.....he also thought there was a little more play in the rotary bolt than there should be.....he thought I might have put 5000 rounds thru the gun......it might have 500 rounds thru it.....do you think me running the gun a little dry may have caused this......any opinions....thanks
12 years 4 months ago #9773

I think that is most likely the cause Deenerman.
Not to worry though.
Your BCG and Rails should be fine.
In the past I used Ed's Red. It's a home made brew that I mix myself from "off the shelf" products found in any Wallyworld.
Main componant is ATF. (Automatic Transmission Fluid)
Now that I have an AR-10, I use Lubriplate 130-A Grease.
The higher stresses of a real rifle like an M1A or an AR-10 call for real lubrication.
Many Mfgs sell Dry Lubricants but, they are better used on 5.56mm/.223 Poodle-Poppers.
Since I started slathering lubriplate on my BCG and Receiver Rails my AR-10 purrs.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Bob Downey. Reason: reasurrance
12 years 4 months ago #9774

Replied by Deenerman on topic Re: Failure to eject.

Thanks for the info......I had a brief discussion with the gun smith.....he mentioned some guys have a custom lube.......I will probably go with a good off the shelf grease......mil-comm,etc......I am a big clp break free guy.....but.....you and my gun smith buddy tell me that's too light for the bolt & bolt carrier.......he wants me to run it pretty wet......I am going to take you guys advice......we will see. My bolt seems to have a little too much play inside the carrier......that is what I am worried about. Worst case.....I will have t replace a few bolt parts.....is it normal for the bolt to have some play?....I know it's hard for you to comment not being able to feel it.
12 years 4 months ago #9783

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!