Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

The PERFECT ROUND

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic The PERFECT ROUND

yep, 30-06 parent case so it's about a half inch too long in the brass. There are a few out there that build an AR style rifle in long action calibers, but if I was going that route I'd skip the pip squeaks and go straight to a 300 mag or better yet 338L.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 months ago #17411

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The PERFECT ROUND

The 300 WSM or its Remington equivalent might be an option. Shorter than a 30-06 but longer than a .308. And ballistic equivalence to a 300 Winchester Magnum. Problem becomes magazine capacity. You have to give something up unless you want a monster magazine. They are still fat little suckers. Maybe a 15 round mag?
11 years 2 months ago #17413

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic The PERFECT ROUND

Armalite experimented heavily with the 300 wsm but could not get reliability up to their standards due to conflict with the shoulder angle and feed angles. This is what set them to 300rsaum. I personally love 300wsm for short action. It pushes the same .308 pain pills at a much faster and flatter trajectory. I forget how many I could stack in a 20rd gen2 mag, but it is a short coming I could live with. I leave it to bolt action duty, temptation for an expensive mag dump is best avoided.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 months ago #17414

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The PERFECT ROUND

You would have to win the lottery just to have a 100 round day. Interesting history I had never heard before. Thanks Colt. :wave:
11 years 2 months ago #17415

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic The PERFECT ROUND

You can always depend on 13 Fox to provide some legit FACTUAL info...as opposed to opinion info which is generally Rong! Which if that is what one wants then head out to almost any other fun forum...
11 years 2 months ago #17418

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by mrfixit on topic The PERFECT ROUND

;) Ol cowboy;06 family...3006,280 rem,rem 7mmexpress,270 win,2506,wildcats that I know.240,8mm,338.,and all the "ackleys"
308/7.62 family;308,7mm08,257 roberts,243 win.,more wildcats
Same case even shorter;300savage,250-3000,22-250,more wildcats
And I won't even open the cover on my wildcat book! :twocents:
11 years 2 months ago #17434

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic The PERFECT ROUND

There is no shortage of those, but few ever go anywhere even when there is a bunch of push and pull...I point to the most recent flop: 6.8 mm for the AR, now gone and those that bought one are tryin to forget they did.

6.8mm was a SCAM to begin with. I learned a long time ago Rule 1: Follow the money and it led straight to a handful of folks seeing $$$$ and sugar plums in the sky when the Army adopted it, I mean afterall, the SEALs, SOCOM etc etc etc etc were using it and praised it...REALLY? NOT Really. It stunk as a rd and it was a dumbed down (real dumb) .270 in a shorter case and the ballistics were just not there. But it was the money trail that sunk the ship in addition to being a bad choice.

One of the guys on the board used to work for me, he and because friends, have been since the early 80's and we talk several times a week now. He is a Vietnam vet from the 60's, combat soldier, knows well the 5.56 and he is a gun guy, got a load of the things. So very knowledgable he gave it a BIG thumbs down and enlightened me.
11 years 2 months ago #17442

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!