Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Favorite 5.56 heavy bullet.

• Thank you received: 547

Favorite 5.56 heavy bullet. was created by Siscowet

Looking for advice again. I am planning to load up some heavier bullets for my Colt HBAR with the 1 in 7 twist barrel. I would like to use a soft or hollow point, so I can use it for distance shooting and hunting. Especially coyote.
I understand some of the "super heavy" 22's like the 80 gr Sierra match king will have issues with fitting in AR15 magazines. That said, have any of you that also shoot AR15's have recommendations as to a favorite bullet with a high ballistic coefficient? Thinking of 65 to 70 grain, possibly higher if no mag loading problems.
10 years 11 months ago #23260

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Favorite 5.56 heavy bullet.

I am not going to go exact on this, that said bbl length, twist and 2 key factors on bullet performance. So much so that in the case of the new generation mil spec sniper rifles for long range the contracts and weapon design are linked to a specific cartridge which is part of the delivery contract.

Take away: Examine your requirements closely so as you will not lose any accuracy in your builds...
10 years 11 months ago #23262

Replied by Siscowet on topic Favorite 5.56 heavy bullet.

Absolutely, that is why I will be interested in hearing from some of the Afghan and Iraqi vets and the data generated through the Designated Marksman and Sniper programs on the 5.56 platform. Starting with a National Match HBAR is a good launching point.
10 years 11 months ago #23269

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Favorite 5.56 heavy bullet.

Super Performance Match 75 gr. BTHP from Hornady has the best #s on paper, as far as energy is concerned, but their numbers are for the 20" barrel.

I stick with the 62 gr. 5.56 for my LE6920, only because I'm too lazy/busy to change it up, and I've got a stock-pile of the stuff.

Hornady has a huge selection and some interesting data that could/might match your range preferences. There is a LARGE variance in their line-ups per energy and drop when you're going 300+m. Good times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
10 years 11 months ago #23276

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Favorite 5.56 heavy bullet.

I've been happy with 68grn hornady pills for a great all around projectile. It holds it own within 5.56 useful distances, does the whole fragmentation thing further out than 62grn ball and can be loaded pretty hot. I like my small bore to burn through the air so I tend to lean away from 70+grn bullets, although the 77 smk is a fine match bullet and 75 amax is murder on critters. Actually, any of the ballistic tip style will work well on yotes, unless you are after pelts. The fragmentation will perforate the pest.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 11 months ago #23277

My HBAR is 20 inches. I can't use the 68 gr SMK or 68 gr BTHP in this state, as it needs to be an open tipped hollow point for hunting. I may go down to 60 grains and use the Hornady hollow point.for that reason. Other wise the 68SMK or 68 Hornady would win hands down.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Siscowet.
10 years 11 months ago #23282

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Favorite 5.56 heavy bullet.

Is the opening on the tip of a 68 gr SMK/BTHP not big enough? If the letter of the law states, "Open tip hollow point," then those bullets certainly fit the bill.

I've gotten very good accuracy with 77gr Sierra SMKs and Hornady 75 gr BTHP/Open Tip, Match (OTM) bullets.
RLTW
10 years 11 months ago #23325

You guys convinced me, I am going with the Hornady 75 gr BTHP. Thanks.
10 years 11 months ago #23343

:thumbs: Just ordered 500 75gr BTHP Hornady .224 bullets from Lohman arms. Current waiting time, 11-12 weeks. Cases are cleaned, sized, trimmed, and ready for primers, powder and bullets. Will do a range report when they get here. Will be using either RL15, or H4895.
10 years 11 months ago #23357

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!