Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Round to replace 5.56×45mm NATO

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Round to replace 5.56×45mm NATO -- Combat Bees?

Actually you are not that far off some concepts. One concept that some very well educated futurists have postulated, is an automated, mobile "factory" if you will. You land it in the right spot of a country or area, and it starts replicating mechanical "bugs" programmed to attack in such numbers that they can overwhelm every living thing in their path. Sci-Fi gurus think that would be a logical first wave of a hypothetical alien invasion. The dawn of 3D printers and Nanotechnology puts this concept just over the horizon. A little disquieting,
10 years 8 months ago #27050

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Round to replace 5.56×45mm NATO -- Combat Bees?

That's what they said and thought about the .458 SOCOM too and we all see where that went.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
10 years 8 months ago #27051

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Round to replace 5.56×45mm NATO

All this discussion proves one thing: The modern combat environment is the toughest test laboratory there is for any rifle cartridge combination. Even the best rifle and or cartridge will quickly have it's flaws exposed. Any futuristic weapon would have it's flaws exposed the first time it was in combat. Leb's comment about reducing combat load is significant, the lighter the better, as long as terminal effectiveness is not compromised. If anybody has read Heinlein' Sci Fi book "Starship Troopers", I am guessing a hundred years from now a 11-B will look a lot like what he describes. If combat load is no longer a factor, and everyone is wearing ballistic armor, a terminally guided semi-auto RPG might end up being the basic infantry weapon.
Anyway, back to the discussion: Instead of a new round, what about a weapon the quickly converts to either of the military standards, 5.56 or 7.62 NATO? Some private ventures are working on this. Logistically I don't know if it would be possible.
10 years 8 months ago #27055

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Round to replace 5.56×45mm NATO -- Combat Bees?

300 BLK is ballistically very similar to 7.62x39. But it has a wider selection of bullets with a better CD than 7.62x39. 300-350 is about all I'd want it for. I have read of folks saying they've gone out to 500-600 with it, but I imagine that it's one heck of a holdover.
RLTW
10 years 8 months ago #27065

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Round to replace 5.56×45mm NATO -- Combat Bees?

The 300 BLK also shines in very short barrels. A 7.5" 300 BLK AR with proper ammo has more muzzle energy and much better terminal ballistics than M855 out of an 11.5" AR.

Would make a great PDW as well as optional 7.62x39+ ballistics in a slightly larger platform.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by SOC.
10 years 8 months ago #27095

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Round to replace 5.56×45mm NATO -- Combat Bees?

One one forum, one guy brags about killing bear at 300 yds with a .22, small game at a 1000 yds. and he was not kidding. Those stories abound. Input the data on the 300 and at 550 the rd is spent, you could almost catch it in your hand.

By all my research the 300 appears to be a good if not great rd, but for military use it would require some change of culture and a change of how we field combat units and the TO&E.
10 years 8 months ago #27096

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!