Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Disregard...

• Thank you received: 99

Disregard... was created by 10-76

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by 10-76.
10 years 4 months ago #32645

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The .300 AAC BLK

Lebben B who used to be a frequent contributor liked the 300 Blackout a lot. I think it was 300 blackout the Army Marksman unit said that about. The thing is, what are you comparing it to? A 7.62x51? It has less than half the case capacity, but you can carry 3 times more. To a 7.62 x 39? It is more accurate, has better ballistics, in a smaller case. Out to 300 yards, word is, it works. If it will take a pig out at that range, it works. For 500 yards no, but would you want to use a 5.56 routinely at 500 yards? Probably not. Everyone I know who has one likes it for what it is, a compact package that delivers more terminal ballistics than a 5.56 at 300 yards or less in an AR rifle.
10 years 4 months ago #32648

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic The .300 AAC BLK

Can be loaded to equivalent of the 30-30. Huge bullet selection from 90gn to 250gn not counting sabots.

I like that you can get more muzzle energy from a good 7.5" 300 BLK load than you can get from a 14.5" 5.56 even with MK 262.

This is thanks in part to H110 (A mag pistol powder) doing great with bullets the same weight as .357 and barrels of similar length.

I can cast 250gn slug and push it to 1050fps or so and give 600 ft/lbs. Good as the hottest 45 ACP.

It's quite the combo with a 7.5" barrel and an Osprey Suppressor.

I am impressed at the versatility of this round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 4 months ago #32650

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic The .300 AAC BLK

Like all calibers, the .300 BLK has limitations. It is an extremely effective CQB cartridge for an SBR.
Beyond that, I would have no use for it.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #32654

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by maskman228 on topic The .300 AAC BLK

agreed
10 years 4 months ago #32659

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic The .300 AAC BLK

Yep. With a 220 grain SMK, it's like an AR shaped .45acp subgun but with less recoil and better penetration characteristics - using all of the same components as a .223/5.56 except the barrel. With any of the better 110 to 125 grain bullets, the ballistics are pretty close to a 7.62x39, expect that it runs reliably in an AR and is a hell of a lot more accurate. You can do both out of the same barrel.

Iron sights for ranges past 50 yards are very problematic when switching between loads. Optics are a little easier to reset for different loads, but a dedicated reticule and a turrets with two separate sets of BDC marks (at the least) would really help.

I love shooting it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 3 months ago #32818

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic The .300 AAC BLK

Ok, so I just got around to watching that video in the original post.

HOLY F&*K!

750 yards?

I mean, there was some travel time, but he was hitting the damned target.

... and out of a 9" barrel (assuming that I'm right about that being a Spike's Tactical Compressor Rifle).
10 years 3 months ago #32824

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic The .300 AAC BLK

In watching the video I found some interesting data on the 5.56 NATO VS 300.

They say the 5.56 has a 90-100" drop at 500 yds same as the 300 and has 290 ft lbs of energy. I find different data: 50" drop at 500 and 340 ft lbs of energy.

I then go to Hornady for 300 data and get a 131" drop and 343 lbs of energy at 500

Both of these are zero'd at 100 yds.

I will assume this is some kind of a school or something that has the $$ to fire 100,000 rds at about $1 buck a rd even buying in bulk. Albeit there is no shortage of folks on gun forums that claim to shoot over a 100k rds a year, suppose they are independently wealthy.

Most of these videos are pushing something and showing it in the best possible light at best, many of the videos are outright fabrications. [want to see some AMAZING video's go look at the AK 47 stuff, better still get into a AK47 VS M4 thread you can come away with wondering why bother to develop laser weapons when an AK will shoot the moon out of the sky]

Always check the data source. I use: Winchester and Hornady for ballistics reference.

I want to like the .300 BLK, but videos like this only cause suspicion on my part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lizardette
10 years 3 months ago #32855

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The .300 AAC BLK

Agreed I am suspicious of any body who tries to portray something as all things to all men. Give me 10,000 300 Blackout rounds, a chronograph, and a ballistic software program, and on a measured range I or any of us could eventually solve the ballistics issues and make successful 750 yard shots. The trajectory would probably look like that of a 60 mm mortar, but it could be done. Give us a 7.62x51 and it would be done in a half or a third of the time and ammo. The difference, is what is possible and what is practical with a cartridge and weapon.
10 years 3 months ago #32867

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic The .300 AAC BLK

:I-agree: Facts is facts, this is a short range CQB cartridge for most average shooters. I just don't see a significant advantage overall, if I only got to choose one AR it would not be the cartridge I would pick. That said I would still like to have one some day. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 3 months ago #32870

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!