Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

300 rem short or 300 win short

• Thank you received: 0

300 rem short or 300 win short was created by haskell

anyone ever hear of or know where to get uppers in 300 short mag? perhaps even where to get parts like recoil spring,buffer and mags so you could build your own? thanks for any help. great site here.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by haskell.
14 years 4 months ago #2423

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:300 rem short or 300 win short

I make up barrels on these short mags. They seem to shoot very well. Most of them need a plus 5 inch gas system and some other tricks for them to work. The 300 WSM is the best for timing issues because of the larger case. The 6.5 WSM and 7WSM are not easy to work with on these frames.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2442

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:300 rem short or 300 win short

I seem to remember reading that ArmaLite choose 300 RSAUM for the thicker brass. Is there any truth to the statement?
14 years 4 months ago #2448

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

They was to lazy to fix other issues and that .075 shorter case was the easy way out. Your going to find it out sooner or later that this rifle system is 1 big band-aid. No one seems to want to fix some of the major things here. It started with the AR-15 and ain't never stopped. A big example is the M-4 feed ramp cuts, they are a bandage for another problem. Why not fix the other problem rather than make the barrel extention weaker. Mags should be held to the ISO 9000 or mil spc but there are fab shops looking to make a buck. Gene did a good job on design or they wouldn't work as well as they do. When brass gets as thick as the short mags are .005 extra wall thickness ain't helping much. They went with the Rem case so as not to have to time the gas system right. Being that Remington, Cobb, DPMS and Bushmaster are owned by the same group which is Armalites competition, I wonder why Armalite even used their mag case. But stay tuned there will be more wild stuff I'm sure. MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2449

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by haskell on topic Re:300 rem short or 300 win short

i'm leanin towards the 300 winchester short. little better performance.
14 years 4 months ago #2530

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:300 rem short or 300 win short

to MSH
for ar10 in 300wsm. Are you limited in bullet wt with these barrels? I ask because I was thinking an AR10 in this caliber with 180 or larger grain bullets could be a nice elk gun for my wife, given the recoil advantages over a bolt action, that is if the wt of the rifle could be kept managable.
14 years 4 months ago #2601

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

If you look at the big picture you dont gain anything at range using a bullet weight past 190gr. Speed loss and weight drop is a notch just above the 30-06 at that point which aint bad. That 208gr Hornaday bullet should be about the limit. I like going to a 9 twist barrel at about 210grs of bullet weight. More spin on the bullet helps buck the wind but is not always the most accurate if your nit picking groups. So your barrel twist is going to limit you unless you get a custom barrel. So the point of any gain is about 200grs. I will post a picture of a 300 WSM barrel with an extended gas system later. You must use an extended gas system or its no point in chambering for the WSM. If you dont you just have a 30-06 without the extended gas system. That is the limits of the rifle frame. There needs to be a stoping point on this frame size just like on the A15 frame. The WSM is on the limit because of the locking lugs thin wall. The aluminum upper becomes much like a catch basket if it breaks, and that aint going very far. I think what most of you fail to see is that this is a gas assisted bolt gun with a lug system much like the older Brownings but on a shotgun style frame.(basket) Its weak but strong so work within the limits of the frame. I think for most people staying on a .472 head size for the bolt is a good idea. When oppening up a bolt face you do away with the inner heat treated part of the bolt. The lighter loads on a 300 WSM has less stress. MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2616

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:300 rem short or 300 win short

Thanks for that explanation. I don't think anything more than 180 grain is needed for elk so that should work(so I guess in reality just using the 308 with a 180 grain bullet should be ok out to 250 yds or so). I have read some professional reviewers in comparing the 300 wsm to the 300wm for bolt actions or for the BAR, recommending the 300wm over the wsm due to the acute angles from the case to neck from the fatter case causing chambering issues???? They didn't clarify whether that was a documented or just a theoretical concern. If real, seems like the ar10 platform is where that would really show up.
14 years 4 months ago #2617

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I think what happened is they tried using exsisting followers at first and thats where the problems arose from on the bolt guns. All thats been redesigned and seems to work now. I haven't had any real problems feeding as long as I use match bullets. Those match kings expand better than hunting bullets most ot the time.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2623

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!