Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

6x47 Lapua

• Thank you received: 0

6x47 Lapua was created by woodnut

A friend has a sweet shooting bolt gun in 6x47Lapua.So I naturally decided it would be a great cartridge in an AR10 platform. Oddly, his barrel's twist rate is 1 in 12; but he shoots tiny groups with the Berger 88s. I'm opting for a nine twist to shoot bullets from 70 to 95 gr. Hope I did right ! It will be a cut rifle barrel, 26" long. Anyone out there have any experience with this cal. in either a bolt gun or AR? Sure would like to know if you agree or not with the twist I chose and what loads you recommend. Help !
12 years 10 months ago #7698

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Neanderthal75 on topic Re: 6x47 Lapua

Hey there,

I'm JUST entering the AR10 field of endeavor and feel just a tad (ie, Mt. Everest league) bit overwhelming by it all....INTERESTING but really a LOT of information to ingest and sift through by any measure!

I'm wanting to shift to the 338RCM at some point, as I'm a BIG fan of .338 caliber (coming from being a bolt gun .338RUM shooter), but don't want to go the .338 Federal route.

My ultimate goal would be to have an AR10 in a .338RUM, but I don't know that the platform could absorb that kind of recoil abuse on any short term, much less long term basis, even if I could find someone to manufacturer me an upper receiver and following for it!

Edge Rifles makes a non-typical semi-auto in .300 RUM and .338 Lapua, but at $6700 and I believe $10k (respectively), they are WAY out of my league!!!!

Why did you choose the 6x47L vs the 6.5 Creedmoor? The latter is an existing platform, easily obtainable (if not the ammo for it), and a major ammo supplier makes ammo for it and is supporting it!

Thanks and I look forward to following this link to see what knowledgeable folks have to say!

Cheers.
12 years 10 months ago #7701

Replied by woodnut on topic Re: 6x47 Lapua

You asked why I chose the 6x47L over the 6.5x47L. Well, I have a very fine Ar10 in 260 Rem. which I wanted for deer and pigs.That's, of course, a 6.5 cal. cartridge. It's a great number and DPMS has a super accurate AR10 chambered for it; which, as I said, I have one. I was looking for a longer range bullet than I have in the 223A.I. that shoots a 55gr. pill very well to at least 500 yards to whack prairie dogs and even ground hogs. I've considered the 223 with an 8 twist and 75 gr. pills; but the 6x47L just sang it's mesmerizing song to me. I hope I've picked the right twist for the bullets around 88 grains. I believe the 88s will reach out to 600 yards with whomp and accuracy without a lot of recoil and blast.The ammo thing is pure reload; but easy to do.Most of my ammo in most cal. is reloads so it's no big deal to add one more.Thanks for your post !
12 years 10 months ago #7707

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!