Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

• Thank you received: 0

Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake? was created by glockman75

I ordered a new AR10A4 model with 5 extra Magpul polymer magazines. I got a call today that the rifle was in but the mags would be another couple of days. I picked up the rifle and went home.
I started wondering why the rifle had a metal 20 round mag and metal 10 round mag in the case. Then I checked the Armalite site.
My gun is a "B" model.
I wanted the "A" model. Are the "A" models available? What should I do? Does it really matter?
Please advise. Thanks.
11 years 8 months ago #12210

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

I'm perfectly satisfied with my B model. That said if you ordered an A for the specific reason of using P mags then your dealer should square you away. I just noticed Uncle Armalite posted today and said there will be A's in stock next week but not many. If your dealer gets right on the phone in the morning he may get one. Don't go shoot the B unless you are keeping it, you just won't want to give it up after you get a taste of what they can do!
The p-mag use is the only difference and honestly as well built as the regular Armalite magazines are you'll be hard pressed to wear one out, I've done 90% of my shooting with one 15 round mag never cleaned it and it works like new. If you buy them in 5 packs the price difference is not that much. If your going to stockpile 200 magazines for the rifle then the A might be the best for you but short of that it should be a wash.
I'm nearing 1,000 rounds of all sorts of different loads in my B and have had 0 issues with function, the heart just grows fonder B) . No matter which way you go it won't even be a little mistake!
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by jtallen83. Reason: dumb ass
11 years 8 months ago #12211

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

Accuracy and reliability-wise, there's scant little difference between the A and B models. I agree with JT that if you can be happy with the B model, then keep it and enjoy. But I can also see where you'd be chuffed because you ordered an A and got a B. I'd definitely get with my LGS and give them the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot speech.

I also agree with JT that the B model mags are pretty tough and reliable. It really comes down to how much you want to run Magpul 7.62 mags.
RLTW
11 years 8 months ago #12215

Replied by glockman75 on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

I called Armalite this morning and spoke about getting the B gun by mistake. They believe that their Gen II mags for the B are the best set up and will have better reliability than a Polymer magazine in the A. From what you guys are saying and the word from Armalite I will be keeping the B and ordering 5 gen II mags instead of the P Mags.
Thanks for your input I can't wait to shoot this beautiful AR10 A4.
I have green furniture that looks cool and it feels perfectly tight and bad ass!
11 years 8 months ago #12216

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

Pics or it doesn't exist. :P
RLTW
11 years 8 months ago #12217

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by sansone on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

those steel gen II mags are awesome, the steel followers ride-up like they're on ball bearings. Your rifle rocks man...enjoy it
11 years 8 months ago #12220

Replied by glockman75 on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

Definitely not a mistake. I had a blast at the range today!! It sure hits harder than a .223! :evil: The steel mags felt solid, loaded great and functioned 100% even with cheap junky WPA 145 grain ammo.
There were 2 other AR 10's there with scopes shooting at 565 yard 8" metal gongs (using 168 grain target ammo).
I've never shot for distance as I am a 3 gun action shooter but I may have to pony up for a scope and see what I can do.
The red dot in the picture is an inexpensive Truglo that is fine for fast shooting up to 75 yards or so.
I am totally excited about this gun now. Screw polymer mags who needs 'em! (just kidding they are cool and cheap.)
11 years 8 months ago #12221

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

Yea kinda grows on ya don't it? and as for the mags well the plastic ones may be cheaper in the short run, but those steel ones will out last them, and be cheaper in the long run. B)
11 years 8 months ago #12223

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by sansone on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

a bad-boy like that deserves steel magazines, so what if they cost more.
considering what we pay for the ammo, the mags are cheap.
glad you are happy
11 years 8 months ago #12226

Replied by Parco on topic Re: Is my new AR10A4 "B" a BIG mistake?

I have a model 'B' and have never had a issue with the steel magazines :) . Enjoy it like everyone else has said. I looked at all of the .308 platform semi autos including DPMS, LaRue and LMT. The Armalite had the "right look" and feel to it. A couple of my friends said it was way too cool when they saw this firearm and guys at the gun range feel the same. :lol:
11 years 8 months ago #12288

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!