Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

How many spare parts do you maintain?

• Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Playgirl's Center-fold of the Century
  • Thank you received: 175

How many spare parts do you maintain? was created by Sharkey

I'm just wondering about how many spare parts guys actually maintain that they keep onhand to replace crucial components of their rifles in case of a failure.

I'm not talking about old replaced furniture or leftovers from upgrades. I'm talking about bolts and bolt carrier assemblies, trigger groups and the like.

I actually have NO spare parts right now of this nature and am just wondering how many do you maintain, what are they and how many times have you actually needed to replace crucial items to keep your rifle in action?

This is for your personal weapons and not spares you got for free in the military while deployed - not a fair comparison if ya know what I mean.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 4 months ago #14614

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic How many spare parts do you maintain?

Bolt.
Firing pin.
cam pin.
FP retaining pins. -that counts as a easy to lose part so I keep a a few on hand. you can make one in a pinch out of just about anything.
Trigger & hammer pins. -I just have them.
Assorted springs and detents. -These are mostly kept on hand for loss replacement, rather than wear or breakage.

The number one part I worry about breaking in an AR10 is the bolt catch. I keep a couple of spares but it is also the hardest part to replace. The pin for it
is a real pain to get in and out. I have heard about folks tapping the pin hole to use the DPMS screw. A possible worth while modification I have yet to try.

I keep all my small parts in one of those little tackle boxes. I'm sure you have a spare laying around.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 4 months ago #14620

• Sharkey
  • Life Member
  • Life Member

Replied by Sharkey on topic How many spare parts do you maintain?

How many of those parts do you consider absolute essentials Colt? I'm trying to look ahead a bit and figuring out the smallest kit I can muster while having enough for emergency repairs and/or replacements.

What do you feel you reeeeally need as compared to having onhand just cuz they fit in the space for em?

And thanks for the input.
11 years 4 months ago #14621

Out of what I listed above, the trigger and hammer pins could be left out. Most of the springs can excluded as well. The issue with the small parts is losing them when trying to replace something else and ZIING off into the nothingness and a day or 2 later click clack clack in the vacuum cleaner.

Minimum would be
Bolt catch.
Bolt.
Firing pin.
cam pin.
FP retaining pins.

If Im running out the door to meet & greet the zombies, that's the least I would want. all other parts can be field sourced from other weapons & items.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by 13fcolt.
11 years 4 months ago #14626

• Sharkey
  • Life Member
  • Life Member

Replied by Sharkey on topic How many spare parts do you maintain?

Thanks Colt. Good info.
11 years 4 months ago #14627

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic How many spare parts do you maintain?

I've got;

AR-10 FIELD REPAIR KIT EA6020
AR-10 SPRING REPLACEMENT KIT (TO BE USED W 2-STAGE TRIGGER) EA6140

and I have an extra buffer spring. I'm counting on Armalite to repair anything else that could possibly go wrong. I've been debating about an extra BCG after the discussion in the rapid fire thread. I PM'ed Uncle Armalite asking what they would do about a cracked bolt carrier or bolt as far as warranty goes. My best guess would be they will replace it. now I have to guess if the law is going to allow it!
:nicethread: I'm looking forward to learning what the pro's keep around. I want to keep my rifle shooting just like it is! :twothumbs:
I better check those kits again, I may need a bolt catch handy worse than I need more mags. Thanks Colt
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by jtallen83.
11 years 4 months ago #14632

Those are good choices JT. I have those myself and consolidated them into one kit. About the only thing I find a bit off is the field repair kit includes an ejector. It's not that you shouldn't have one, but it aint exactly something that can be done in the field. I use a bench vise, punch, and hammer to change an ejector. It's easier to just carry a spare bolt and have the ejector in the "home" repair kits.
11 years 4 months ago #14645

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!