Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what?

• Thank you received: 0

New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what? was created by Digitalpoodle

Hi all, been lurking, but now own a great rifle :woohoo: I have seen things like recoil reducing components; hydraulic buffer, a different style buffer spring, new muzzle brake? Another question concerning future use of a supressor, do I even need to change the brake? What changes or upgrades would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
11 years 4 months ago #14794

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what?

Welcome to the forums! and welcome to "Club Ssassy" fellow sass owner. When the time comes, you will find that your choice in suppressor will dictate what muzzle device you use as each manufacturer has their own proprietary design. The device can be a brake or a flash hider and is customarily included with the purchase of the suppressor, but not always so you will have to check. Although less popular these days, there are simple thread on suppressors that attach in place of a flash hider or brake. These typically are meant to remain installed except when cleaning or casing the weapon and a simple thread protector is all that is used when the suppressor is removed. The hassle of switching between suppressor and a brake or flash hider is why most suppressors these days are Quick Detach.

Stay away from hydraulic buffers. They have a history of high failure rates in AR15's and I have no reason to believe they would last longer in a .308. They also bring nothing to the table in terms of recoil reduction. As it stands your weapon has a recoil impulse that ranges from 7ish - 10ish ft lbs of recoil energy depending on the ammo used. So it is kind of a non issue. A suppressor or a muzzle brake will reduce some felt recoil though, if that is goal.

Upgrades are a matter of personal tastes at this point as you have one of the most complete out of the box rifles I've ever owned. I replaced the factory match trigger with a Geissele DMR adjustable 2 stage. This is a truly sweet, great shooting trigger.
I replaced the PRS stock for two reasons. The first being, while well intentioned and well made, the adjustable cheek piece is uselessly too far to the rear for me. This had to be done to clear the charging handle and really can't be helped. Secondly, at it's shortest settings it was still too long for my kids to shoot the rifle comfortably. I switched over to the MagPul UBR stock and could not be happier. If that sounds like something you would like to do, just let me know and I will walk you through the process.

Good luck enjoying your new rifle, now try a box or two of everything and find out what she likes best.

Here is my baby, complete with red neck shootin' mat.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 4 months ago #14797

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what?

Did you BUY that Redneck Mat someplace special or did you make it yourself? :laugh:

(if you made it yourself, kudos. It almost looks like it was made by a genuine redneck ;) )
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Sharkey.
11 years 4 months ago #14800

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what?

13F gave you some solid TTPs. I'll add that some surpressors require you to remove the muzzle device completely in order to mount the can. On the flipside, Gemtech makes supressors that fit over the A2-style FH/Comp.

Your next step should be to gather up several different makes/weights of .308 and see what your barrel prefers. With a SASS, I wouldn't go any lighter than 168 gr. Then get out to the range and get after it.

What sort of optic are you planning to mount to it?
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #14807

Replied by Digitalpoodle on topic New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what?

Thanks fir the solid advice! im getting it out on the range today to get aquatinted with her (Bambi)

For now budget only allows for a 3-12x50 NcStar, but will be going with the Nikon M-308 BDC 800 when I save up for it.
11 years 4 months ago #14809

I would advise against the BDC. It's not likely your weapon and ammo are going to match the pre-plotted trajectory. Then again it may be close enough for you there is just no way to know. Nikon makes good glass for the dollar, I've heard vortex is good and several members here speak highly of bushnell.
11 years 4 months ago #14810

It was 'tactically' field expedient on-site resource procurement. Just one of the many secret methods of the Redneck Samurai. Your welcome.
:P
11 years 4 months ago #14811

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what?

Nothing wrong with full utilization of commandeered native resources when behind enemy lines. It is in fact recommended to reduce potential stress on friendly supply assets. :thumbs:
11 years 4 months ago #14813

Replied by Digitalpoodle on topic New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what?

That improvised D.I.R.T. Repelling mat is actually very effective!

If 600ish was the budget, what glass would you get?
11 years 4 months ago #14816

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic New AR 10SBF SSASS, now what?

It's gonna depend on the bells and whistles you want on the scope. Fixed magnification scopes cost less than variables. Second focal plane scopes are less than first focal plane. And then there's the reticle - personally, I prefer mil based reticles like the mil-dot or MRAD types since they allow for more precise adjustments/corrections. I also like to have my reticle and turrets match, ie MOA reticle, MOA turrets or Mil reticle/ Mil turrets, there's less math that way. Also, does the $600-ish budget allow for a mount/rings?

The scope you buy doesn't necessarily have to have the word "Tactical" in it's description just because you have an AR10.

In addition to the brands 13F mentioned I'll put Weaver and Burris out there as well.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #14826

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!