Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

.308 question

• Thank you received: 2

.308 question was created by tangy003

My question is this: I have never owned a semi in .308 cal. What kind of accuracy would it be resonable to expect from my ar 10 as it comes from armalite?
11 years 4 months ago #15067

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic .308 question

Out of the box, on a coffee jitter day, mine was shooting 1.5 MOA five shot groups at 100 meters. It can do better I am sure, I don't know if I can.
11 years 4 months ago #15073

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by WES213 on topic .308 question

I have got 1 moa off the carbine from a bench and admit i cant repeat it all the time, for the most part i would say 1.5 MOA would be a good point to say as an average.
We go to war to fight terrorism and Communism then vote for a terrifying communist to lead us God help us all.
11 years 4 months ago #15083

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by tangy003 on topic .308 question

Sweet. I can't wait Try mine out.
11 years 4 months ago #15084

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by WES213 on topic .308 question

I really cant see anyone not loving there Armalite AR10, i wanted the 10T carbine and ended up getting the standard carbine as all the 10T models had sold out and still would mark it as the last gun in my case i would sell.
We go to war to fight terrorism and Communism then vote for a terrifying communist to lead us God help us all.
11 years 4 months ago #15093

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Harry Moto on topic .308 question

I would definately agree, last one to go.

This past weekend I went shooting with my bolt rifle in 308 and my AR10, shot them back to back for the first time. The bolt action rifle is a Marlin with a 26" heavy barrel, and my AR10 is the A4 rifle with a scope on it. Both weapons weigh close to the same, but the difference in recoil is AMAZING! After shooting the bolt gun, the AR10 doesn't seem to kick at all. :thumbs:

I also shot both rifles at a 100 yard target off the bipod. It was cold (31ºF) and windy, but I was at about a 2" group with both the bolt rifle and the ArmaLite. I wouldn't take that to mean they are the same in the accuracy department, both will certainly do better, but it gives you a rough idea...
Knowledge is know a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad.

Awaiting my AR10A4BF, due this Friday.
USAF Veteran * Life member of the NRA
11 years 4 months ago #15097

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by kapt on topic .308 question

Not sure what is happening but I cannot get better than 2-2.5 inches at 100 yrds with my Armalite A4 20" free float, 24x Leupold, except with M118 long range which does shoot around an inch. However it is nearly impossible to find now.
I shoot centerfire and rimfire benchrest and do well so, I dont think it is me. Carefully handloaded ammo will still only do 2". Have tried various bullet weights and powder but cannot seem to get the accuracy everyone is claiming.

Ideas ?
11 years 4 months ago #15698

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic .308 question

M118 is easy to duplicate, and since it is your best group so far, I'd suggest copying that and adjust from there. You didn't say what loads you were using, but factory ammo 2-2.5 is ok, and about an inch with 118 sounds about right as well. Might try smoothing out your trigger. Seating depth can be tricky because we have to worry about staying mag length, but I'd gauge how far off the lands your loads are seated and consult your reloading manuals per recommended seating depth.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 4 months ago #15699

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by kapt on topic .308 question

This is the first AR10 I have owned but have had several 15's. After barrels and triggers managed to get them to shoot pretty well. I see/hear many people claiming 3-4 inches at 300 yrds with a stock AR10 but suppose I should file those away with the normal internet smoke.

Have a Timney 3.5 lb single stage trigger in it now. It is crisp and breaks clean. I know people claim that Jard is the only trigger for AR's but I have had bad experiences with them in the past and refuse to use them.

I have tried to duplicate the M118 load with 175 gr. Sierra HPBT matchking, which I think is what was originaly loaded in it without success. Seating depth I took from a few pcs of M118 I still have.
11 years 4 months ago #15702

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic .308 question

With a stock AR10 using Lake City loaded M118LR 3 inches at 300 yards is a perfectly reasonable goal. Next time out I will be moving up to 300 meters from 200 and I hope to get at least that.
11 years 4 months ago #15703

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!