Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Forward Assist ????

• Thank you received: 2

Forward Assist ???? was created by tangy003

OK here I go AGAIN with questions.I searched and didn't see any answers,so here goes.

When did Armalite start putting forward assist on the AR10A2 rifle?
Is the forward assist really a must have?

Thanks again.
11 years 4 months ago #15100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Forward Assist ????

It's been around a couple of years I think. Mine doesn't have one and the need for it has never come up. I do not recall the reason they added it, maybe submission for .mil contract?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 4 months ago #15102

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Forward Assist ????

I'm unsure when Armalite started building rifles with the forward assist.

The forward assist argument has gone on for YEARS in the AR15 community. I think it's a "nice to have" feature versus a "need to have" feature.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #15103

Replied by tangy003 on topic Forward Assist ????

OK here is another question.

What does the forward assist actually do then?
Is it for when the rifle gets dirty and won't fully chamber a round?
11 years 4 months ago #15104

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Forward Assist ????

I'm completely guessing here but back when I was in the Army, I believe the theory for them was if you are in a combat situation and unable to clean your rifle as you desire, it was there to help you set the rounds home in a "sticking situation" due to carbon buildup in the bore.

It was worthless during a jam but if your rounds are failing to seat properly, which CAN occur in the field when proper cleaning is not always feasible, THAT is where the real value comes in.

For our civilian purposes, if you ever need to use it, you probably either "rode the bolt back too slowly and was holding the charging handle", the rounds are not quite within specs and don't seat well, or you just REALLY need to clean your rifle.

Since it is easier, when manufacturing mass amounts of pretty much anything, to do so with a standard production model, the forward assist simply rolled over into the civilian market not so much as a necessity, but more as a added selling feature that would enable Armalite to manufacture less different types of products and thereby reduce cost to the consumer.

But then again, I could just be all wet here... :)
11 years 4 months ago #15105

Replied by tangy003 on topic Forward Assist ????

Thanks sharkey
11 years 4 months ago #15106

Please bear with me, I'm a bit hungover from new year's eve. FYI - Alcohol and explosives/pyro are NOT a good mix. At least my son knows how to tamp a charge now. Thank God it rained...

Prototype M16s were slick sided, since the bore and chamber were chrome lined and the new 5.56mm round was built using a cleaner burning stick-type powder (DuPont released this powder to the public as IMR 4895.)

Production M16s were still slick sided, HOWEVER they were manufactured without the chrome lining. Also the Army built M193 Ball ammo using the spherical powder that it had on hand (This powder was very similar to BL/C(2) and Win 748.) This powder burned faster and gave the round a higher MV. The downside was this powder also burned dirtier, creating more fouling

Unlined barrels, dirty ammo, no cleaning kits/lube (The troops were told the the M16 was "self-cleaning"), and the heat/humidity of Viet Nam all combined to cause a lot of failures and malfunctions resulting in the deaths of many fine American fighting men.

The M16A1 fixed the biggest problem - the bore and chamber were chrome lined. Colt also added an external forward assist. The Army issued cleaning kits and comic books (PM Magazine) on the care and cleaning/lubing of the M16A1.

Stoner's original design DID incorporate a forward assist. See that scalloped area on the right side of the bolt carrier? It's about the size of your thumb, isn't it...
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharkey, tangy003
11 years 4 months ago #15108

I'm gonna start a whole new forum and call it "leave it to Lebben" cuz DAMN have you got the scoop on some odd stuff... :thumbs:

Did they let you wear your pocket protector when you were in uniform buddy? :laugh:

11 years 4 months ago #15111

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Odd...I didn't realize my HS yearbook picture was on-line.

No, no pocket protector. One of these days I'll show you guys how to build NODs using toilet paper tubes, saran wrap, 100 MPH tape and lightning bugs.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: tangy003
11 years 4 months ago #15112

Always a pleasure Leb.

I know how to make some pretty interesting stuff myself although I won't be posting any of it - you SHOULD try my fried green beans, hamburger and American cheese recipe sometime though....mmmmmmm :laugh:
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Sharkey.
11 years 4 months ago #15113

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!