Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

A short day at the range

• Thank you received: 547

A short day at the range was created by Siscowet

Bad news first: My buddy and I had planned to hit the range today. When we got there, there was 20 inches of snow, a 30mph wind, and 19 degrees. We were going to call it a day, but took a quick look through the spotting scope at the 200m and 100 meter ranges. Lo and behold, someone had set up a couple of targets, and had not shot, or missed them entirely, so we decided to set up for some shooting. Unfortunately my buddies new varmint rifle, which had see through rings, would not let him dial in. So I took my turn. My goal was to zero in my AR10 at 200 meters. Per my last post, it was shooting high at that range. After my first shot, I did one adjustment of 6 cliks on my Nikon Monarch before I fired the next four. Seeing the results I had to slog down and take an IPhone picture of my group. This was shot using Lake City M118LR 175 gr HPBT Sierra Matchking cartridges. Wind was quartering over my left shoulder. This is an AR10A4 20 inch barrel, not an AR10T. I am a decent shot, but these type of results in these conditions? I lay the credit solely on Armalite, and the craftsmen who made this rifle. My shooting buddy was amazed, and so was I. I definitely think I have found my rifles preferred bullet weight. My next goal when the weather improves, is to extend out to 300 meters, and after that keep going! Thank you Armalite for this fine product. We hit the gong set up for a few more rounds, by then our hands were numb, but I don't have a complaint in the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Siscowet. Reason: Missspelling
11 years 4 months ago #15348

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic A short day at the range

I've got the same rifle and regularly get similar results even though I'm just a moderate shot. I haven't shot in that cold a temp with the wind yet but now that I've seen it works I can skip that until absolutly nesessary! Thanks for that! ;)
It is amazing how well they shoot stock from the factory. Hope ArmaLite keeps cranking them out so I can get another some day........
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 4 months ago #15358

Replied by Siscowet on topic A short day at the range

The more I shoot it, the more I realize what a fine rifle it is. :I-agree:
11 years 4 months ago #15360

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic A short day at the range

Using a machine rest our 10A4BF will consistently put five in an inch and a half at 200 yds (the 10BNMF clocks in just under an inch). Catch a calm day and I bet yours will too.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 4 months ago #15367

Replied by Siscowet on topic A short day at the range

Of that I have no doubt. I was using a bipod with a 30mph angled wind. It got me excited about the potential on nicer days. Thanks. :I-agree:
11 years 4 months ago #15368

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic A short day at the range

Damn it's good to see guys happy with their rifles. The VERY few people around that know I have one know why I buy what I buy but are amazed constantly about what a cadilac it is at the range. You can just cruise right through a mag like it's nothing, making shots through irons or scopes and all right on the money.

I love mine and I'm glad to see you are enjoying yours too Sisco. Nice shooting Sir... :)

And thanks for posting the pics... Dunno if I'll ever have any groupings quite like that since all I ever shoot are soft or hollow points but who knows, maybe someday I'll take a camera with me.

My cell phone's camera has been deactivated due to work restrictions and I NEVER seem to remember to bring a camera with me anywhere.
11 years 4 months ago #15369

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic A short day at the range

All we shoot is Remington 180gr PSP-CL. I'm sure there's more accurate ammo, but that's what we hunt with, and the AR10s love the stuff.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 4 months ago #15371

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic A short day at the range

Thanks Charlie. Mine eats it up and spits it out like it's allergic but in all my years with different weapons, this is the first time I've ever really concerned myself with pinpoint groupings like some of the guys on here get.

I've never really played with scopes and been kind of a "close-up and hands on" kinda bonehead that never had enough brains to just sit on a rooftop a mile away and pick em off but hey, I'm working on it and I'll get there.

I'm not a bad shot by any means and normally hit what I'm aiming at, I just want to work on my grouping finesse a little more and see what kind of stuff I can do...

Thanks for the info though since lead tips and hollows are all I've ever really knew existed (cep for in the Army of course)... :)

My rifle definitely digs that heavy stuff too now that you mention it but I backed down a bit so my wife could enjoy shooting more which I love so for now, it's 150s and 170s (when I can slip em in)...
11 years 4 months ago #15373

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!