Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Subsonic Ammo

• Thank you received: 0

Subsonic Ammo was created by utexasmpa

Has anyone experimented with Subsonic ammo in a AR-10 T? I have an older model Armalite AR-10 T with the 24" heavy barrel that I am having cut down to 20" and threaded 5/8-24 for the future use of my AAC Cyclone supressor. I am wanting to shoot subsonic rounds through it and have been uneasy about the 1:11.25" twist that the Armalite comes standard with. Please let me know if anyone has any comments or ideas about this issue. I am trying to avoid getting a barrel made in a 1:10" twist for super and subsonic rounds.
15 years 1 month ago #1292

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Re:Subsonic Ammo

I read that the bolt carrier and related parts can get damaged from using to light of a load.
Someone with more experience than I have can probably give You a bit more info on this.
If there was a valve installed to turn the gas off then you could manually load single rounds and probably get away with it.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
15 years 1 month ago #1295

Replied by utexasmpa on topic Re:Subsonic Ammo

I plan on using an adjustable gas block to completely turn off the gas system when shooting subsonic. I am now worried about cycling problems or damage to the bolt etc. I am worried about the twist rate of the barrel and the round not stabalizing making the chances of a baffle strike in the supressor a possibility. If anyone can please answer this question I would greatly appreciate it.
15 years 1 month ago #1301

Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Subsonic Ammo

Thats a "NO-GO" on that twist rate. You will end up with a baffle strike and a new "paper weight cyclone". For 308, 1:10" is best for dual purpose (subsonic and standard ammo use) and 1:8" is best if the operator wishes to have a dedicated subsonic/suppressor platform. I made this error once.
14 years 5 months ago #2412

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!