Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by ernierod on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

For what it's worth-I had similar problem.(wouldn't lock on last shot)sent my AR-10T/260 Rem.to Armalite for warrantee repair.They returned it with this story. Drilled gas hole in bbl slightly larger and completely changed bolt carrier assy.It worked but I had to foot the shipping bill of $47, Oh well. Rifle works now.Cheers
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by ernierod.
11 years 3 months ago #16427

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

I am not sure as my AR was in warranty so they just had me send it in...the paperwork when it came back just 'had to replace screw due to conflict due to stock replacement. So its a known issue when you go from the std to a modified stock ( I was using the Magpull SASS stock).

I know they are about 120-180 days backlogged and are working like crazy, so send them a e mail describing the issue and the remedy, can you send me the required part...
11 years 3 months ago #16431

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

From what I can tell, you can either replace the stock with an ArmaLite AR10 carbine stock assembly, or replace the buffer with a CAR-10 heavy buffer that is short enough to use the AR15 extension. about the same price either way.
www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html
AR-10 COLLAPSING BUTTSTOCK KIT
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by 13fcolt.
11 years 3 months ago #16437

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a similar story. My rule is that if I mod a gun it's reversible, and I keep all the old parts. If I later sell that gun I return it to its original configuration (and sell the parts too ;) ). I wish that grease monkeys would stick with screwing up cars and leave guns alone, because they're treading on very dangerous ground.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 3 months ago #16442

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

At least do some research first and do the modification correctly. It's not like the information on AR10 to AR15 stock swaps is classified.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 3 months ago #16452

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

Was going thru a spares box for my AR 10 and here is a pic of the screw they removed and replaced, they sent this back, again I am using the Magpul SASS stock:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: j1mmyr1chter
11 years 3 months ago #16470

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by j1mmyr1chter on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

Thanks everybody for all the feedback. So I visited another shop today and figured out / confirmed a couple of things:

1) My spring vs. a shorter carbine spring make no difference with this problem. Even Armalite told me the other day that the AR-10 spring from the factory full stock is re-used on the carbine stock mod. So, the spring seems to NOT be the issue

2) The guy at the shop had a .223 carbine tube in stock, and its clearly about 5/8" shorter than the one on my AR-10. So, it appears the tube is NOT the issue.

3) According to Armalite, there are only 2 buffers available from them, the short one for carbine, and the longer for full stock. Mines the short 3 and 1/4" buffer, so that leads me to believe that the buffer is NOT the issue.

Now, having said all that, what the crap is going on here? The guy at the shop said that maybe the mags are wrong for my rifle. I have qty 2 5 round mags and qty 1 10 round mag, and they appear to be the 'gen 2' mags that Armalite makes. My rifle is a 10A4BF and was born on 10/25/2012, so do those mags work for my rifle? Now, before somebody jumps all over that and says "AHA, that's yer problem!", understand that even with NO mag inserted, I cannot pull the bolt far enough back (and manually pressing the bolt catch) for the bolt catch to grab right in front of the bolt face (like it does on my AR-15). It just barely catches the under side of the bolt carrier and the bolt is hanging over the mag slot by quite a bit, and this does not look right to me. Doesn't look like it will grab a new round and pull it into the chamber because its hanging too far forward to grab the back edge of the new round.

I really hope somebody will think of something that could be causing me this headache. Let me know if anybody has a thought. Thanks a lot everyone!
"Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn"
11 years 3 months ago #16507

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

If you can't lock the bolt back manually, and you can withdraw the BCG from the upper without interference when the upper is separated from the lower, then the buffer tube is the problem. I don't know what or how, but there isn't anything else behind the BCG!

Depress the buffer tube and see how far it goes (in inches). Then measure the distance the BCG extrudes from the open upper when it's in the locked-back position. Then go find the "dreaded previous owner" and beat him brutally about the nose and ears with a rolled up newspaper!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: j1mmyr1chter
11 years 3 months ago #16508

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by j1mmyr1chter on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

I will try that measurement technique Charlie. It just doesn't make any sense cause it really seems like I have all the right parts here for a carbine conversion on this thing. The guy who sold it to me is being pretty cool so far, and we are prolly going to meet up and just convert it back to full stock and then see whats up.
"Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn"
11 years 3 months ago #16512

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic New Armalite AR-10 - Bolt doesnt lockback?

I agree that the receiver extension is the problem. Have you taken a light and looked inside to check for an obstruction of some sort?
RLTW
11 years 3 months ago #16521

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!