Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

The perfect build

• Thank you received: 1

The perfect build was created by Archer1

First AR10 build for me. I have an Armalite AR10 lower with Armalite lower receiver parts kit. Now where to go from here..... I love the AR10 platform for distance and power so I would like to do a long range rifle. Any feedback on the PRS stock? I have read that the charging handle is obstructed when cheek piece is elevated. Best buffer to use? Anyone been having luck actually getting parts anywhere? I'm new and any info or positive suggestions appreciated. Not rolling in money but would like to make this rifle as close to perfect as possible. Thank you.
11 years 3 months ago #16505

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic The perfect build

Good choice on rifles, not so good choice on timing but it is still doable. With the way things are right now, it will likely take more time and money than it should.
For the PRS stock, the charging handle will not be obstructed, provided you use the correct version. The AR10 and AR15 PRS are identical with the exception of the cheek piece location. Personally, I find that to be the issue with the PRS. For me the cheek piece is too far to the rear to be useful. It forces the user to mount the scope too far to the rear in order to accommodate the stock, messing with natural point of aim which is the opposite of what a stock should do. It is a quality unit, helps balance the rifle, and works well prone, but the cheek piece is useless. It may work out for you better than it did for me.

For a long range rig, the places you will want to invest the most, will be the trigger, barrel, scope and scope mount. Everything else can be left pretty much to taste, or budget. krieger,lija,Nightforce,leupold,gissele,timney,larue,adm, are all in no particular order names to check out for planning your build.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 3 months ago #16509

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic The perfect build

I have the PRS stock and like it, seems to be a good fit...that said if the shoe fits, wear it. What is good for me my be only marginal for you. I am a big guy, with a long reach, I wear 17x36 shirts and I like the adjustability of the stock.

As 13 Fox said if you are looking to really reach out at the outer parameters of the 7.62 NATO then barrel, trigger are starting points for the design. As for optics, well IMO that is debatable. My dad shot expert with the '03 Sprg...at ONE MILE, back when the Army had a one mile target range and if you shot expert you got paid an extra $5 per month, a LOT of money by in 1932...

When it comes to shooting, the single most important factor is consistency, that is the over riding factor. It makes not difference if your barrel shoots to the left 1 in at 100 yards as long as it does so 100% of the time. All guns are inaccurate inherently, better components help in achieving consistency until you are dead on every time.

That said I have a good friend, known him since high school, today he is a world known hunter from the Arctic Circle, Russian, Aus, Africa, you name it he has hunted it...his gun, LOL you would have to see it to believe it, he inherited from his grandfather, its an OLD, VERY OLD 30-06. The last time I saw him I was asking him if he still used granddads gun, he said yep...So I asked, him why, he certainly has the money to buy any gun out there. He told me if he gave me that gun I would think it was the most inaccurate gun I had ever shot. But he has been shooting it since he was a teenager and as he told me, Cowboy I KNOW where that bullet is going, every single time.

He also hand loads for where and what he is going to hunt. TIP: Always zero out of the same box or hand load batch you are going to hunt with...consistency
11 years 3 months ago #16534

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Coner on topic The perfect build

I'm in the same boat as you and interested what components you end up with for your build. Be sure to keep us updated with your progress :thumbs:
11 years 2 months ago #17333

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The perfect build

He also hand loads for where and what he is going to hunt. TIP: Always zero out of the same box or hand load batch you are going to hunt with...consistency
Very true words. I have a lot of 600 30-06 165gr BTSP's I loaded in 1977. I still hunt with them because I KNOW where those bullets are going. I am down to about 120 left. Need to load some more by 2020.
11 years 2 months ago #17335

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic The perfect build

Had a Buddy that was always complaining about his gun and on a constant quest for accuracy...then I went to the range with him one day. He zeroed in with a box of 'Lucky 7' No 1 Ammo GI and Chinese chop house. Went to hunt and it Gold plated ammo all the way. I mentioned to him you are shooting for zero with junk, but when you hunt its top grade, don't you think there is a big difference between the two in performance? Well a little maybe but not enough to make any difference!!!! Yea, SURE! He still moans about how erratic his gun shoots...

He does not practice good housekeeping either, his ammo gets mixed cause he tosses it in the same box all the time
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 2 months ago #17338

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic The perfect build

Training with what you are REALLY going to use is essential in pretty much anything you do. It's consistency and confidence that could make the difference in making a kill in the woods OR getting home alive on a bad day.

Words to live by.
11 years 2 months ago #17340

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!